Tilley burner tool…

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by philly, Jul 28, 2022.

1. philly United Kingdom

Hi all,
    What is the best tool to take apart all the brass screwed-in parts on a tilley table lamp burner?
    I don’t want to leave graunch marks with ‘mole’ grips, monkey wrench etc etc.
    I’m thinking some sort of small strap wrench (if such a thing exists)?
    I would appreciate your expertise…
    Thanks.

2. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

I would not take it apart at all, unless there is a defect. Burner parts are burned in and once apart you not always get it together anymore.

3. Bigstu United Kingdom

I’ve found if you place them in a ultrasonic cleaner this is the best method to loosen all parts
    Done a table lamp burner lad week it worked a treat
    Using Any tools may cause damage

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    1. If your burner is well used, this will have caused deterioration in the burner threads. Therefore, similarly to what @WimVe said, if it works after a good clean, don’t take it apart.

2. If you do need to take it apart, put it back together with copper or nickel grease on the threads. If it’s really loose after putting it back together it’s too far gone, but you might keep it working for a while using muffler paste on the threads.

Clean with dilute vinegar or citric acid, or use an ultrasonic cleaner like @Bigstu.

Cheers

Tony

5. Rangie

Rangie United Kingdom Subscriber

I echo the above, don't dismantle unless you have to.

Blow it through with air to remove the cobwebs :lol:
    If it needs more to clean its internals I prefer to boil the burners in water with a spoon of tartaric acid, that cleans burner parts gently, then rinse thoroughly and give it a light buff with a brass wire brush or wheel to even out the patina.
    When its fired it will dull slightly again anyway.

Happy Fettling!

Alec.

6. philly United Kingdom

Thanks, I agree with all you have said. I suspect the tube on the top of the burner (the one inside the dome) has become loose (unscrewed). It’s what happened to a similar one which was giving a yellow flame. I fixed that one, but got slight graunch marks in the brass from my grips.
    Please excuse my terminology!!!
    I will ultrasonic clean (then boil it if that doesn’t work), then try to remove the dome…
    Nobody has said what tool they use for dismantling, but I guess it doesn’t really matter if it’s all jammed solid….

7. JonD

JonD Subscriber

I used a hose clamp to grip and compress it slightly. The hose clamp could be put in a vice to unscrew the dome.

IMG-20140702-02032_opt.jpg

8. philly United Kingdom

That’s a good idea.

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @philly

The tools I use if I ever need to take the mixing tube (the “dome”) off are patience and hands.

If you really need to take it off, give it a good clean, heat the area with a blow torch (no more than dull red) then soak the join in penetrating oil for a few hours.

If it won’t unscrew by hand after that, plan B like @JonD — with care.

Cheers

Tony

10. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

I have found that the hoseclip method squashed the dome and left marks so I made a tool, a collar that was a good fit with lugs welded on so that when it was tightened it nipped the dome but didn’t mark it
    @philly As others have said already the threads are delicate and the act of removing the different parts can put wear on them (even with lots of oil applied) ((perhaps this makes a good grinding paste ??))
    The only reason we know this is because we’ve all tried ! (piles of old burners later) ((but it’s good to have spares :doh: ))

11. Rangie

Rangie United Kingdom Subscriber

I use adjustable pliers and a leather strap when I'm dismantling.
    Its a lottery whether they come apart easily/without damage though.

Alec.