Tilley control cock

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by iwoo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. iwoo

iwoo Subscriber

How do you change the 155 washer non return valve thingy in a Tilley storm light control cock?

2. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi iwoo

The bottom filter where the wire mesh is should unscrew. In practice this should be finger tight, in reality you will probably need to apply gentle force with a pair of pliers. The washer and brass cup are spring loaded and you should feel it give as you come to the end of te thread.

Regards, Jeremy

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I never bother. It's a kero lantern and does not need a shut off valve. I don't understand why Tilley insist on still making them. Vapalux/Bialaddin don't have valves and they work just fine without as will a Tilley. The only Tilley lamps that need a valve are the do nuts where the fuel is higher than the control so you have to be able to shut the fuel off to change a vaporiser. In Lamps and lanterns it is a redundant feature. ::Neil::

4. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

1296422270-Untitled-1.jpg

I prefer the on/off of a Tilley than letting the pressure out on a bia/vap (because I often don't get the needle in the right position)

Attached Files:

5. iwoo

iwoo Subscriber

Thanks lads. I will give it a go tomorrow night and report back.

There is no fuel coming out of the fount and I have had a cleaning wire down the pickup tube and seen fuel coming out of the fount so I am guessing this is where the problem is, I have already had to replace a "hard as the hobs of hell" non working pump pip and the fuel in the fount did not smell remotely like paraffin?????

6. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Could be the filter gauze blocked?

7. iwoo

iwoo Subscriber

I will check it out either way tomorrow.

8. Mackburner

A couple of questions.

Have you had this lantern running before and now it won't run or is it a recent find?

What model is it and what year was it made?

I ask because twice now I have found an X246B with an alloy control that would not pass fuel even with the filter and valve gizmo removed. Could just be you got a bad control cock.

::Neil::

9. iwoo

iwoo Subscriber

It was the pip in the control cock, rock hard, once removed I managed to get a flow through, it was a recent addition from the swapmeet, it is a gold tank version of the later 246B how will I date it?, I have managed to fit a different control cock off one of my own working Tilleys and the lamp fired right up but is leaking from the control cock washer (Ross has sent me some seals) so I will complete the build up and add a couple of pics when i can, thanks for the help so far lads.

10. Mackburner

Turn it over and read the date stamp in the base. There will be three or four numbers and two letters. Ignore the letters. The numbers are month and year. ::Neil::

11. iwoo

iwoo Subscriber

December 1971

12. iwoo

iwoo Subscriber

1296988236-IMG_0837_opt.jpg

We have light!

Attached Files:

13. Mackburner

You got it. Nice to see these in a collection and shown here. I don't like them much as working lanterns though because the engineering is not great and I deplore the use of aluminium for pump and valve. ::Neil::

14. iwoo

iwoo Subscriber

It will be used throughout the caravan season on a regular basis, my Bialladin 305 gets hours of use keeping us warm and well illuminated, I do a lot of caravan rallying so only have battery power for so long, it is for my mate Andy (Like Ross says) and will suit him to have a positive shut off valve for the fuel, he is a joiner by trade so I am going to try to get him to make me a carrying box as a swap for it.

I have replaced all of the seals now with a mixture of genuine as well as some Ross ones just to make it safe for him as he has young kids who will be around his lamp (the kids loved my Tilley bowl-fire last year so they will be even more wowed with my Bialaddin version.)

15. Neal Rogers United Kingdom

Hi Broadlander, thanks for your excellent help. Can you please confirm whether or not the filter gauze area of the control cock in a recent model X246B (Jan 1981) is non-serviceable? It looks exactly like the one here http://tilleylamp.co.uk/lamp-spares/control-cock. Am I missing something? Thanks Neal

16. Neal Rogers United Kingdom

Ignore me - I've just seen in another thread that what looks like a single piece of aluminium is not, and the end cap does in fact unscrew. Sorry for wasting your time ;-)

17. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Neal Rogers

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

No time wasted at all! I am glad you found your answer.

Regards Jeremy