Tilley EX100

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by Dale Main, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Dale Main

Dale Main Australia Subscriber

I restored this lamp as a Christmas present for my mum. I would have like to keep it but she deserves much more than this lamp.

3E3CEAB2-05B2-4325-A6F9-C1D9BABBD4B5.jpeg 2A69B05D-4535-42A4-8FD2-20598B6D4509.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2021
  2. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

What a nice kind son you are Dale. I suggest you find another for yourself.

3. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Very nice but ideally the reflector/shade should sit further down the handle.
    Have a look here to compare the curves in the handle and where the shade sits :-
    EX4-EX100-EX93

4. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

But, Henry, never look a gift horse in the mouth!

5. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Quite right. I wasn't belittling the gift, merely pointing out an improvement.

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent present, Dale. I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas.

The lamp is actually a Kayen — the Australian copy of the EX100 that was made from 1945. Kayen have the hex mountings on the tank for the handle, while Tilley’s are round. There are Tilley components on it (Kayen were Tilley agents until they began making their own copies due to import restrictions at the end of the war); the tank is a Kopsen tank (Kopsen is the “Kay” in Kayen); and the speckled hood is Kayen.

Cheers

Tony

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It's cleaned up nicely and I'm sure your mother will be happy with the gift. :thumbup:

8. Alenstein Poland

Nice present to mum, she always deserves good things...

9. Dale Main

Thanks. I have been trying. I’ve made several bids on eBay for lamps nearby only to be out bid during the last seconds. Yesterday I actually agreed to purchase a table lamp I thought looked like it might be an Austramax. It was only a few kilometres away. By the time I withdrew money and was about to head to the seller Someone by the name of Martin Roberts beat me to it. It seems that he identified the lamp as a Goulburn Special. He is also nearby but not a member of this club. If he’s a close as he seems to be I’d like to be in touch. Cheers.

10. Dale Main

Hi Henry,
    Thanks. I thought that was probably the case. I’ll correct that. It took me quite some time to restore the wire handle. Both sides well seized and required a lot of heat to free up the nuts. I’d only finished the paint Christmas Eve and I was a wary of applying too much heat as this picture was taken that night. Thanks.

11. Dale Main

Hi Tony.
    My apologies. I made notes regarding the information you provided me regarding this lamp. So I’ve recorded all the names but I failed to actually make it clear mine was the Kayen. As for speckled hood. Was the hood speckled on the bottom of the reflector. I’ve painted the bottom and edging flat white. The top is basically the same colour as the paint that was on it. Best I could do was Bahama Beige. The under side of the hood did have a strange speckled pattern that I assumed was some effect caused by corrosion.
    Thanks again. Hope you are all enjoying your Christmas. All the best for the new year too.
    Cheers,
    Dale.

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Dale

1. I’ll give you a call tomorrow if that’s convenient.

2. That bloke by the name of Roberts is a member here and I was talking to him yesterday about that lamp. Small world. He’s a very good person. I’m sure he’ll contact you.

Cheers

Tony

13. Dale Main

Hi Martin,
    Sorry to make it sound like you’d gazumped me. Initially it was yes I’d buy it but never indicated any time or arranged to get her address. It’s only in hindsight after your identification that I realise I should have made more effort. With the location only a few kilometres away I was confident I had it in the bag.
    All the best Martin. Look forward to chatting.

14. Dale Main

Hi Tony,
    Please feel free to call me anytime. Don’t bother arranging it just do it. I’m already looking forward to hearing from you. I always have time for a phone call.

I’m constantly receiving work calls and mostly cringe when the phone rings. If I had more calls from people like you I’d feel a lot better about hearing a call come in.

Thanks for identifying Martin. I’m looking forward to meeting him and possibly getting more direction on improving and speeding up my fettling. I always had tinkering projects on the go but lamps I find very rewarding. There are so many questions I have that if I phoned you with them all you wouldn’t have time for anything else. I think actually seeing someone else’s methods first hand will help me a lot. My friends and family don’t have any idea about why anyone would be interested in lamps.
    Regards,
    Dale