Tilley Ex4 cock valve leak

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Darryl Durdin, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

Hi fellas, i have bought this Ex4 back to life, i have two identicals i call twins, this one has a leak at the control valve, where the control is soldered to the main part of the valve.
    The cock valve dose not come off its factory soldered, is this an easy fix or abit fiddly, hard to do, 20200917_203939.jpg 20200917_203936.jpg
    I hope one can see what is happening
    Any advice much appreciate

2. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

The valve as you say is not removable. If leak is from pricker shaft you will need to remove bakelite knob by very-firmly holding brass shaft and unscrew pricker knob and then replace "O" ring seal and reassemble.

3. Darryl Durdin

@Graham P , its not the control shaft, its the control shaft block into the main block, under the magnified i can see the solder has come a way, i did apply presure to tighten it ,with small spanner, it did tighten a fraction, not wanting to damage what i have. I will water test again to see if it makes a difference

4. Darryl Durdin

This is the suspected leak area.
    What can i do 20200918_080443.jpg

5. Darryl Durdin

I have unscrewed it to reviel that the block was no longer sealed with solder. 20200918_082415.jpg
    Ive never seen inside a tilley cock valve
    20200918_082432.jpg
    I intend on repairing.
    Does it have to be soldered and if so what type, silver, lead, braise? Or will hi temp locktight do the job.Any advice much appreciate

6. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Darryl Durdin

Something with not too high a melting point, you don't want to risk heat conducting to where the cock is soldered into the fount and compromise that joint. Electricians solder is perfect for this job. A blowtorch with a fine flame is also very useful because the heat is concentrated right where it's needed, reducing the risk of compromising the cock to fount joint.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  7. Darryl Durdin

Thanks for the advice
    @Henry Plews
    I will go and get one

8. Graham P

No wonder it leaked Clean the area to be soldered of all dirt, you could heat and wipe away old solder with "cotton cloth" it looks like the thread was not soldered (I would try to solder shoulder only) resin core electrical solder is fine. Its not an area I would use any corrosive flux

9. george

george United States Subscriber

@Darryl Durdin Darryl, Lock tite? Maybe... you won't have to worry about melting anything. I guess I would try that first. Use heat as a last resort.

10. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@Darryl Durdin
    For such jobs I use a sheet of paper towel, rolled and flattened to make a one-inch strip, soaked in water and laid over the joint to be protected from heat. Remember too that even with that precaution for the soldered joint, sufficient heat will be conducted to the fount to vaporise and expand paraffin residue, which will ignite on the blowlamp flame. So rinse out the fount with warm water and detergent and leave the filler cap off.

Simply filling the fount with water will cause the heat from the blowlamp to leach away from the solder joint, making it harder to get the lead solder to flow.

11. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@presscall

Quite right, I should have mentioned the importance of cleaning the inside of the fount, something I always do prior to any soldering work on a fount and also the wetted kitchen towel - a method I've used myself.

@Darryl Durdin I find a Mini Blow Torch ideal for this sort of job.

12. Darryl Durdin

Hi fellas thank you for your words of wisdom, i fixed the issue i have with high temp loctite, i did try the solder thing but stopped, i was afraid ill melt the whole thing of knowing my luck and skill set, the loctite has hed up well. As by my pictures ive posted. The lantern has run for many hrs no faults or leaks to be found.
    Oncen again thanks fellas for your help
    @Henry Plews
    @presscall
    @george
    @Graham P

13. Graham P