Tilley Guardsman

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Alistair Duff, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Hi good people of TILLEY land, I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm asking a question in wrong place or one that's been answered, I've acquired a TILLEY lamp it says model X246 on bottom it was filthy but I've managed to give it a good clean and it looks great I've took it apart and waiting for seals I've ordered,the problem I have (after watching YouTube videos)is that I can't feel the pricker coming through the top of vapouriser when I push down on hard surface at other end,there is a sharp end on the pricker and the hole is clear as I can blow a small amount of air through it, I'm excited about my wee project and can't wait to seeing this old lamp lit,hope someone can help,all the best, Alistair.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Alistair, welcome aboard! It sounds like your vapouriser may be worn. From my own experience with Tilleys I’d do the service and then try it out. Others may have more to say.
    A photo and perhaps start a new thread, lots of help here, so don’t be afraid to ask.
    There is, of course, a problem with your present situation. You’ll either mess around with the Tilley for a few days and abandon it on a shelf in your garage...... or you’ll get the urge to provide a mate for your lamp, then another and so on. The dreaded lampitus!
    Enjoy the process, there’s such a reward when an old lamp pops back in to life.
    Stevie

3. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Alistair Duff

Hello and welcome. In an ideal world, a protruding needle is the order of the day but provided the inside of the tank is clean and you're using clean, good quality fuel and the vapouriser is in good order i.e. relatively clear of internal carbon deposits, you may be able to get away with a needle that is little more than flush with the top of the vapouriser. The end of the cleaning wire could be described as a two stage taper; have you checked with a magnifying glass ? Spare cleaning wires are available from www.base-camp.co.uk (and I think eBay seller hootflipflopandfly) but don't rush off and order one just yet.
    Get the new seals fitted first and after a pressure test, try a test burn without a mantle. Be sure to pre-heat correctly ! You're looking for a nice, steady, clean blue flame but be gentle with the pressure because without a mantle to contain it, the flame will blow itself out. It may take a few minutes for the lantern to settle down so let it burn for five or ten minutes and see how it goes. If all goes well, you may get away with just a replacement wire (part no. 607), if there are red smoky flames belching forth from the burner, the whole vapouriser is shot and will need replacing.

Henry.

4. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Thank you so much for your kind reply Henry,I'll take all your brilliant suggestions on board, I've spend a few hours on it already and really enjoying the project, Alistair

5. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Hi Steve,I suspect I'm going to end up with more of these lamps.Thank you so much for your sound advice I'll wait for seals to arrive and have a go at lighting, can't wait I'm nearly 60 years old and I'm like a kid with a new toy,just uploaded some photos,before and after cleaning,all the best Alistair,

IMG_20200122_233312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2020
  6. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Cleaned up

IMG_20200123_160215.jpg

7. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

In bits

IMG_20200123_145358.jpg

8. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Alistair Duff
    Welcome from Queensland Australia.
    You have done a good job of cleaning her up. Well done.
    We just need the “money shot” (first light after fettle).
    I’m looking forward to reading your posts and seeing you being overtaken by the lamp bug.
    Cheers
    Pete

9. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Hi Pete,thanks for encouraging comments,I'm looking forward to that money shot too, just hope there's not a big mushroom cloud over Yorkshire when I light it ,all the best mate, Alistair

10. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

That's a nice speculum plated (like chrome plating but looks more like nickel) model you've got yourself. The Guardsman X246 (as opposed to the X246A or B) is a nice lamp to start with as it's well made and easy to fettle.

11. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Nice early one as well. Around 1950 to 1954. They were good well made lamps. ::Neil::

12. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Thanks Colin,hope I get it going

13. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Thanks for that Neil,good to know,my wife even likes it now it's cleaned up and she usually thinks stuff like this is clutter, I'm sure it will look beautiful when it's lit, Alistair.

14. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

15. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Alistair .. Hi your Guardsman Tilley 246 has had a good scrub, and it looks real solid ... Have you looked under the base at the bottom ?.... You might find numbers ( letters ) .. these would indicate month/year of manufacture ... so 0759... would be July 1959 .. letters like XA or similar indicate model variant type ... I pick these at random ... Hey who is older or younger you or your lamp ?:p

Guardsman lamps are virtually bullet proof and well made , just a basic clean out service , seals and fuels is needed .. Only problematical item is the vapouriser tube Part 606 and pricker wire .. Part 607 .. the tube needs to be cleaned of old carbon deposits ,, either heat and quench , penetrating oils with a bent wire to spin and tap out. The wire should be sharp at the point I often oilstone the point .but that is me .. "2nd hand NOS ( New old stock ) are the ones to go for...

Once done... assemble , but no glass top on .. test the pump , a fine spray of fuel when turned on from the top of the vapouriser should spout upwards with a modicum of force .. 24 " plus ... You are good to go , glass on , top on with burner and mantle attached ...You can buy Tilley mantles, or make your own from Chinese Butterfly mantles... Cheap as chips on Ebay .. There are real experts on here with diagrams/ instructions shewn etc ..

good luck M8tey ..:thumbup:

16. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Hello Alistair,

you have a lamp I like about best of what Tilley made.
    Special to me - and probabely to you too - for it's unassuming character, without fancy doodah's. A solid and reliable performer too, unless she appears worn in certain departments.
    That would not be a problem that could not be solved, so no fear.

You will have noticed the plating is weathered, with some copper colour sprinkling through. That copper colour is likely the result from an acid bath like vinegar you might have used? It leeches out the zinc component from the brass of which the tank is made. Do not worry, this is only cosmetic, and the copper colour will turn in a more brass look in time.

Fact is, the 'speculum' plating has proven none too durable, so your lamp looks like many, many others. Again, given the age of well over 65 years, she looks fine. Is there, by any chance, a gold-and-black label on the bottom, showing brand and type?

Welcome to the forum, regards, Mike

17. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Hi Alby,thank you so much for you're advice they were all top tips like the rest of the guys on this forum, there's no letter's or numbers on base just old x246 Tilly sticker, I've got it going in the last 5 minutes,renewed all seals except one on on/off valve and guess what yes that was oozing fuel,then I put mantle on wrong and smoked house out,then I took meths spirits thingy out to early and it burst into flames and burnt kitchen blinds a little managed to blow it out hope my good wife doesn't notice, anyway got new mantle on new washer in valve and bobs your uncle,thanks again mate.

IMG_20200128_195720.jpg IMG_20200128_195634.jpg IMG_20200128_132910.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2020
  18. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

She’s burning well, not like your kitchen blinds :)
    Well done, now you need another lantern to work on .......... and maybe a box of chocolates for your wife.;)
    Cheers
    Pete

19. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Hi Mike, thanks for encouraging comments, I've got it going after a few mishaps and it looks great I'm chuffed to bits there's an old sticker on base I don't think it's going to last though it's falling apart like me,hope the lamp keeps going if it is 65 years old then it's actually older than myself and that cheers me up,thanks again, Alistair

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2020
  20. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I had to chuckle when you admitted to nearly burning your kitchen blinds - I've had some damned scary flare-ups myself and frightened the bejeezus out of my poor wife more than once! Still, it's a learning curve and a very enjoyable one in the long run.

21. george

george United States Subscriber

Wife and I have been married 50 years, so if it's one thing I've learned, if you want to continue to enjoy supper at the kitchen table you don't set fire to the kitchen! Cause and affect is too dangerous to think about!

[-X:mrgreen:

22. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

A learning curve indeed, I've learnt not to blow burning meths over kitchen worktops, I'm normally quite sensible(eejit really) but that wasn't a good idea,all the best, Alistair

23. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Thanks George,I thought I had lost it at one point,the flames the flames Alistair don't blow burning methylated spirits around it sort of spreads,all the best, Alistair

24. JonD

JonD Subscriber

25. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Thanks for that,very wise.

26. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

It’s a good feeling, the first successful light up, has a touch of alchemy about it. And well done in not burning the house down, that’s always a plus!
    Well done, another forgotten lamp lives on.

27. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Thanks big Stevie,I couldn't have put it better myself,I know this lamp hasn't been lit for over 40 years as it's from a good friends mum and dad's house who have both recently died,the lamp was heading for the skip so lovely to see it lit,all the best, Alistair.

28. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hey Alistair ... review Grahams post on this forum regarding his Tilley lamp he's a Northerner from Kendal
    ...a good title .. well just to show that Rome was not built in a day... and we all have to begin learning somewhere ... enjoy ....

Help me before I burn my house down

:D/ :thumbup:

29. Alistair Duff United Kingdom

Thanks Alby, much appreciated, I'm a great believer in learning from your mistakes and would like anyone joining this forum to learn from mine,when I was kid I used pressure stoves camping all the time but now over 40 years on I'm re learning the safety aspect LOL the hard way,it's all good fun thanks again for your great advice, Alistair.