Tilley lamp cage height

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Scotlamp, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Scotlamp

Scotlamp United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Good day to you all I have difficulty fitting hood
    It appears either the cage is to short or the hood is not correct type .
    I know the brown hood is usual but have used black ones before ,
    I was thinking of getting some extension connectors , or is it a case of different size cages .
    i dont have the cage with the round lugs for bale arm , i did ask the hieght of one for sale and it appears to be the same hieght as the one on mine . maybe its just a grey moment ,i just cannot see round it ,.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Your hood appears to be sitting above the ends of the bail inside the cage. The bottom lip of the hood should be below the bail ends.

Pull the bail outwards to allow the hood to pass.

Tony

3. Scotlamp

Thanks Tony but no joy on that , no movement when take the bale off .

4. Tony Press

Then your burner must be to blame. All Tilley hoods are the same, as are all the different cages.

Some of the later burners are constructed in a way that allows the air tubes to impede the burner sliding down the vapouriser, so the burner sits on the vapouriser not the cage…

Try an older burner if you have one.

Tony

5. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

Then try a different burner out and see if that works, I've had burner heads that the vaporiser won't go all the way in.
    Also Tony is correct.
    Looks like I posted at the same time as Tony did.

6. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Scotlamp,
    From the photo the collar that helps to clock the control tap seems quite high ?
    You may have to dismantle and re adjust things until you find out the problem.. it may be more than just the one thing?
    Good luck and let us know how you get on?
    Cheers :thumbup:

7. steerpike451

steerpike451 United Kingdom Subscriber

Try screwing the control cock bush into the tank a bit more- there's a lot of thread showing in the photo, normally they're nearly flush.

ETA; podbros just beat me to it!

8. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have rebuilt four of these and all of them have the bush pretty much all the way in, like podbros and steerpike say.

9. Tony Press

Now that it has been pointed out by @podbros, the control cock is set too high.

Tony

10. podbros

I don’t know if that would account for all of it though?

11. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Yes it does seem high but appearances can be deceptive. The socket in the top of the fount is only so deep, screw the bush all the way in and there will be plenty of thread showing on the control cock, screw the cock all the way into the bush and then screw that into the fount and there'll be plenty of thread showing on the bush.

On the few vapouriser/burner combinations I've just tried, the vapouriser should go into the burner 50mm

12. podbros

Thanks Henry
    I did what you said and measured two old burners, one was spot on @ 50 mm and the other almost 53.. when I peered down the tube you could see it had been resting on the air tubes , so I looked at the 1st one and that still had the little shoulder for the top of the vapouriser to sit on.. ugh me tea’s gon cold

13. Scotlamp

Good day all Thank you for your replies , I placed control in without the bush ,
    still same problem , would anyone please give me the hieght of cage for the one with the
    original type lugs ( --- ) from base of legs to top rim. yes 50mm depth of burner plus for vaporouriser, what I think is a neccessary technical depth for vapourisation .
    and there is a stop prior to air tubes . see pic still think that I may need x246 cage with the lugs , only thing stopping me was the reported height ?
    thanks again for your kind replies .

DSC_8204.JPG

14. Fireexit1

So a cage on my Guardsman. Starting above the blade that slots into the font to the top of the cage is 158mm
    From the top surface of the cock bush (screwed all the way in) to the top of vapouriser 155mm.
    none of my GMs have a burner with air tubes like yours. They all have threads and rings. The x246a has the same burner. The x246b burner has air tubes like yours. I have just put an x246b as well as a x246a hood with burner onto the GM and it fits with no issues. But it is resting on the top of the vapoursier but very close to the top of the cage.
    So I think you should be able to get it close enough to work.
    Just making sure we are on the same bush:

bush_LI.jpg bush_LI.jpg

15. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

The adaptor bush flange is usually approx 1-1.5 threads above tank socket.(Loosen control cock and readjust) Try pulling outward on both sides of handle (does this lower the hood any)

16. Scotlamp

Hi all No problems getting it to work it requires that the hood be safely fitted under the bale arm lugs .
    The hood is not coming down no way it requires that I bring the cage up .
    The flanged bush has no bearing on the height once the control cock is seated on its washer / seal ,if I screw the
    bush all the way home ,all that does is stop the control cock from seating properly .
    I will get an older cage and go from there . thanks all

17. Tony Press

The bush is not meant to be screwed “all the way home”. It’s purpose is to allow you to ‘clock’ the control cock in the position of choice. This is achieved by screwing it down to a few threads above the tank fitting and then screwing the control cock down. The adjustment is then made by adjusting the relative positions of the control cock and the bush.

I usually set my control cock with the knob in the centre of two cage legs at 90° from the pump on the right hand side.

Cheers

Tony

18. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Before you source another cage; are you 100% sure that the vapouriser is a 606 ?
    I've just measured 10 #606 vapourisers and they range from 133.10mm to 134.25mm giving an average of 133.648mm.
    I've also measured a #1865 as used on the X410 and it comes in at 144.26mm which makes it 10.6mm longer than the 606.

606 on the left, #1865 on the right.
    DSCN1764 (2).JPG

#1865 on a Guardsman.
    DSCN1766 (2).JPG

19. podbros

Oh! Good to learn new things!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  20. Fireexit1

Indeed !
    Also all four of my GMs do this:
    bush3_LI.jpg

21. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

It's not the position of the bush that determines the height of the vaporiser. The seal there is on the cock not the bush/collar so the cock always bottoms out at the same height relative to the tank and frame. Because the bush has a much coarser thread than the cock it allows clocking the valve spindle but never alters the height. ::Neil::