Tilley Lights Up After Re-Sealing

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by bonza, Jul 18, 2021.

1. bonza Australia

I mentioned about two old Tilleys I have in the garage, one being an old 1974 X246B I bought from Sands in Melbourne way back then. Two Old Tilleys

anyway, not to go over the story again, when I lit the lamp as shown in the post above it wasn't holding pressure. so ordered a SP1 online from Tilley in England and it promptly arrived. I have re-kitted this lamp probably a couple of times before when it was used a lot, but last time would have been in the 1990's. so yesterday I fitted the new seals and cleaned the old lamp as best as I could. and hidden away in the shed was a reflector shield I bought for next to nothing from an Army disposal store. put it all together and the lamp remained alight for four hours last night burning faultlessly. only had to give it the one re-pump to restore pressure, so all good.
    IMG_20210717_190849674.jpg
    thanks to to this forum I salvaged it after nearly throwing it out awhile ago. the reflector gives a nice affect when the lantern is hung from something higher up.

now what to do with the hood, it's full of holes and barely holding together. I've been told by my son to leave as is seeing it still works well. what do others reckon?

IMG_20210718_091716741.jpg

2. RobP

RobP United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Bonza,

Great light up. Personally, if it’s working well I would keep it as it is. Maybe use it as a workhorse ie. if you’re taking it somewhere and it may get knocked around a bit. I guess if you replace the hood you could also inadvertently cause more issues than you have now.
    If it does fall apart change it then.

Cheers, Rob

3. Walkop Australia

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…

I use the rattiest hoods on my user Tilleys, and keep the good hoods for display.

You can buy new ones (expensive), or buy a wrecked lamp for its hood.

Cheers

Tony

5. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

Well she looks great in the dark well done mate.

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well saved.:thumbup:

7. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I love a ratty lantern... but that hood does look like it might actually give up the ghost soon. There must be second hand ones lurking in Oz - it does to need to be pretty just intact :lol: