Tilley LT1

Discussion in 'LT1-LT2-LT3' started by James, May 14, 2012.

1. James

James Subscriber

Found one of these London Transport made inspection lamps at the weekend. The tank is well and truly knackered as the base plate has dished down to the point where it doesn't sit level any more.

I was thinking of replacing the tank with a donor from an X246B as I have plenty of those kicking around. Presumably I would just have to drill a hole in the side and then desolder and resolder the fuel tube. Worth doing do you think, or should I just clean it up and stick it on a shelf?

1337022312-tilley_lt1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. mr optimus

Hi James a very nice find i know these were converted by london transport and not made by Tilley,but i would have a go at replacing the tank and keeping it as it is so it can be used safely as a inspection lamp.
    If you have plenty of 246B tanks,and they are very easily available you have nothing to loose and it will be a great project,i would say it is well worth you doing it

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Great find! :thumbup:

4. Kenny Connolly

Yes James I would go for it it's not a big job and the end result would be a great user lamp?? Don't you think

Kenny...

5. James

James Subscriber

I finished my restoration of this lamp. The tank I replaced the best X246B tank I had lying around, which I stripped, polished and lacquered. I also swapped out the cage for a less rusty example.

1338404013-tilley_lt1a.JPG 1338404042-tilley_lt1b.JPG

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello James, that's a fine restoration! :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Hmm. OK nice job but you have fitted an earlier globe cage that as far as I know was never used on that model. ::Neil::

8. RonPH

Great restoration. How far does it throw the light at full power? Hope you can take a picture at night outdoors so we can see what distance.

Ron

9. James

James Subscriber

I thought there was something that didn't quite look right, but i didn't notice that I had fitted the wrong type of cage :oops:

Performance isn't too bad for an X246B. It throws light a reasonable distance across my garden.

1340486253-tilley_lt1.JPG 1340489303-tilley_lt1b.JPG

10. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi James

These do seem to work better than they look don't they 8) :thumbup: , yours is a really nice example & i wonder how many were just dumped when they went electric :cry: :roll: :doh:

My one is not as pristine , but works just as well 8) :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup: