Tilley OH-574

Discussion in 'AL8-AL8A-AL88-OH574' started by TomFetti, Jul 14, 2017.

1. TomFetti

Well about a month or so ago, i was searching the Canadian Craigslist to see what i could find. After about 30 minutes of finding nothing but over priced Coleman lanterns, i found this piece listed as a "heater" in British Columbia!!

At first i honestly knew nothing about, so i kept searching Tilley heaters with handles & luckily it managed to bring me to this website with posts from Jeff. (Also found Jeff's post over at CCF) So after finding that i was i shock that this "heater" was left online for over a month.... Was so happy to find something like this here in Canada..

Photos as found:
    519349166.jpg 519349157.jpg 519349143.jpg 519349135.jpg 519349125.jpg

After i got it in my possession, i went out and found a CH1 Accessory Kit for the lamp to complete it.. (Thanks TilleyPaul!!) Sadly the tank won't be safe to use as it has been over pressurized in the past. (The bottom is bulged)

Thanks to Paul & Jeff for all the info on the tank, parts and so on!

Cleaned up photos:
    20170714_085546.jpg 20170714_085641.jpg 20170714_085701.jpg 20170714_085747.jpg 20170714_085755.jpg
    Has anyone ever seen another Tilley product that has this importer badge? I tried searching it and nothing at all came up. Cheers!

Thanks fo check out my lantern, and plan to get the proper tank fixed down the road.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a rare lamp and perhaps a new base plate could be fitted!:thumbup:

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Certainly is - even in the UK, never mind the far side of Canada! I wonder how it got there, considering these were intended mainly for industrial purposes (e.g. inspecting tunnel roofs) rather than the 'civilian' market. Maybe the railway decided they needed some and ordered them from Tilley through the local importer.

Depending on the state of the bottom plate, if it's not obviously about to fall out I'd be all for giving it a quick run. Do it outside, use the lowest tank pressure you can to make it run properly and keep your eye on it. Your mileage may vary - it's your lamp (and life!)...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  4. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Mmm, still on my wanted list. The tank looks as though it could be swapped out for an R1 tank? Only difference I can see there would be is the R1 has the mountings for a handle where this one wouldn't need them. But functionally it would be fine.

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations on a great find and getting this far. Hope to see it running.
    Good luck :clap:

6. TomFetti

Thanks everyone! After i found out what it was from Paul & Jeff, i knew just how lucky of a find it was!

@David Shouksmith The tank does hold pressure and underwater it doesn't bubble from the rim. (pumped up about 30 times) I will end up testing it down the road, i still need to grab a pre-heater and some Kerosene.

@Matthew92 The older R1 tanks from the early 40's is what Jeff recommended also, plus would always have the original for show or whenever the lamp isn't being used!

@JEFF JOHNSON & @ROBBO55 Thanks a lot, I will hopefully have this running by the end of summer. But never know. Cheers :)

7. TomFetti

Oh and there wasn't much of a backstory to the lamp.. I guess the man who sold it to me, his grandfather was picker of everything and i guess he found it in one of the barns his grandpa filled before he past! He wanted restoration process to see it come back to life, so i have been filling him in to! :)

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

Tom
    Looks like Tilley had an importer in Canada and another one in America. One Tilley x246 I have was imported by a distributor called Thacker . Its good news because more imported Tilley's are floating around out there and in America they maybe little used.

9. JEFF JOHNSON

There were actually two importers of Tilley products in the USA., Thacker is the best known and I do not recall the name of the other importer at this time, but I have seen it in the past few years.

10. TomFetti

Thanks Hamzo. Yeah I am familiar with A.W. Thacker as a US importer. Did a bunch of research when I found my Tilley x246.

@JEFF JOHNSON I actually just read you saying this on an older thread over at CCF.

Have you ever seen this importer badge before? Cheers

11. JEFF JOHNSON

No I have not seen that one before.

12. TomFetti

Okay thanks for the info!!