Tilley Pressure Nipple Length

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Kiwiboy00, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Can someone please explain to me if this pressure nipple could of been pushed in or hit. It sits very very low compared to my other 15 PorkPie Table lamps.

This PorkPie Table lamp is the only one that has a stumpy pressure tip, its almost flush with the tank. The last photo below is how they should look tall, not stumpy. Could this of been hit and been pushed inside re-soldered, or am i being paranoid.

It’s just funny that out of 15 PorkPie Table lamps this is the only one like this with a stumpy pressure tip that only protrudes a little from the tank.

Remember the last photo is of a normal looking one that I put up for comparison.

EC27818D-44D5-4B08-9BF6-D259FF1A2C48.jpeg 0A70C79B-36FD-476E-B841-E55591D09AF2.jpeg 8A17599A-57D0-4671-9937-66A565EAAD79.jpeg 238DEA28-2037-4F35-B53C-A68819BD2C29.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2019
  2. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

I remember reading something a while ago about filing the bit down to level once you have the pressure to about where it should be.

This could have been filed down.

3. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

This is what is inside the tank.

CL8 pip.jpg

Without being able to measure it, it is about 2 inches wide.
    I wouldn't think a knock on the nipple would do anymore than push it out a bit and have it flex right back.

This is a Kayen. I couldn't find a picture of a Tilley.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Ok. Put penetrating oil in the hole.

Leave it for week.

Then see if the nipple moves.

Tony

5. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Thanks everyone, but im not on about the pressure piston part that comes out when pressure is in the tank. Im on about the hight of the round fixed part whats on the tank where the pressure piston comes out of.

This one looks like it’s been filed down or knocked into the tank, my other porkpies have longer ones. Please see the pictures I have provided.

Also the last picture is of another porkpie that I have what is like the rest of my collection a normal hight.

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Friday afternoon/Monday morning soldering job.

7. george

george United States Subscriber

Must be missing something... The only one that looks a little different to me is in the last photo, it looks like it sets too high.
    :-k
    The rest look "normal" or at least look like the ones on my Tilleys.:-s

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I think it’s fine. Just a workshop variation.

Tony

9. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

It’s probably a combination of factory variance and as Andrew said, filed down to the correct pressure level.
    Cheers
    Pete

10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Nine times out of ten they don't work and when they do, they're useless. I ignore them and simply pump up the tank until the lamp or lantern gets no brighter. In any case, you quickly get to know when the pressure in the tank is correct and the lamp is running properly. I've had the odd one leak air but it's been at such a slow rate it's made no difference to the operation of the lamp.

In my view, they're a useless gimmick and more bother than they're worth... :thumbdown:

11. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Thankyou Anthony - Tony Press - Jeff Johnson - george - AussiePete - David Shouksmith.......Appreciate everyone’s feedback.

I was told by a collector that variations are quite common in the size of the pressure nipples

He also stated that older tanks had shorter pressure nipples compared to the more modern tanks that had a taller nipple.

Kind Regards
    Darren