Tilley R1 c1934 Blockage Fixed

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Sedgman, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

In 2015 I posted for help with a blocked fount. Here.

On and off, over the past 5 years :cry: I’ve tried different things to no avail. ](*,)

So, I bit the bullet and removed the control cock receiver/fuel feeder tube part. I had an idea. :!:

1.jpg
    I was able to loosen it with heat and turn it but it would not come out using circlip pliers to hold it from within the threaded tube. So, I cut the brass part above the fount very carefully, to avoid cutting the fount itself. I was then able to leave a very thin lip of brass and tapped it into the fount. I have since been able to get part of it out and cut it in half, but the other half remains in the fount for good. No big deal.

I replaced the fitting with a spare, though not the same original deep one.

2.jpg

Secondly, I initially used a repaired 169 vaporiser which I had previously cut in half to remove a blockage which turned out to be half a spring.

3.jpg
    The silver brazed repair worked fine and I adjusted for the cut and the need to have the pricker rod working. Alas, though the integrity of the repair was sound, the flames were too vigorous probably due to the jet being too large, though I had not tampered with the jet.

4.jpg

I then replaced the vapouriser with another spare and the Tilley R1 is now a goer and has settled down with a tea infuser mantle, as proposed some years ago by @Matty. Here.

So, despite a convoluted pathway the radiator is now working fine.

20201019_093812 - Copy.jpg

Just a shame I did not have a spare original deeper receiver to enable me to keep using the XN type control cock which incidentally has the brass knob but the circular retainer, rather than the hexagonal, on the shaft. Thus, I now have a GF control cock but it looks good and is old too.

Here is a photo of the radiator with the original XN control cock alongside.

Original parts.jpg

Does anyone think the resoldered new fitting at the top of the fount will suddenly fail?

I’m doubtful that would happen as I have lead soldered the side walls of the brass visible part to the fount quite solidly. I also figure it’s similar to resoldering a riser tube on a stove. I would have used silver brazing but that would be too much heat and I have looked carefully at the inside of cut open founts.

Oh, and the original blockage in the fuel feed tube may well have been a broken steel drill bit or piece of wire that someone (not me!) used to try to fix an earlier blockage. That is evidenced by the brass feeder tube sticking to a magnet but only at one end!

Curved fuel feeder pipe.jpg Magnet holding brass tube.jpg

I also tried the unit out with the same cast burner but a better and more expensive mantle.

20201019_090524 - Copy.jpg

Lastly, I have undercoated the fount but have yet to decide if I will paint it further as the fount does have one obvious ding, but then it is an old unit and is a survivor.

I'm so happy to have ticked this off the 'Not working and giving me hell' :rage:list.

Stay safe.

2. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Excellent fettle. Nothing quite as irritating as the one that just won't work..
    Chris

3. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

Well done great work.

4. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

That's a great story and determined detective work to track down and fix such a problem! :)

I do like the older burners.. they look great! :thumbup:

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well saved!:thumbup::thumbup:

6. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Great account and well saved! Nothing feels as good as beating the problem..

7. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done @Sedgman. Your tenacity has paid off.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber