Tilley R1 heater - seperate vapouriser from burnder - help please.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Graham-Melbourne, May 27, 2020.

1. Graham-Melbourne

Graham-Melbourne Australia Subscriber

Thank you Johann, your exploded photograph is giving me some hints re how my R1 might come apart. The R1 literature I have seen suggested the (1231) mantle support & the (1230) burner grid were separate from the burner head but looking closely at my R1 it seems the burner grid is part if the main burner casting.

I am struggling to separate the vapouriser from the mantle support / burner body. Am contemplating applying a little heat to the mantle support to see if that will loosen it. The needle is firmly jammed in the vapouriser so I assume that is useless so don't mind if that gets damaged but don't want t leave part of it stuck inside the mantle support/burner head!

Did you have any issues getting the vapouriser to separate? Any suggestions for myself?

Thanks in advance, Graham Tilley R1 burner head.jpg Tilley R1 radiator.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Graham-Melbourne

My advice is to take everything you can off the the burner, then apply some heat and penetrating oil to the the vaporiser join with the burner spigot. Let it rest for an hour, and then twist the vapouriser out.

I've only ever had to cut a spigot off a vapouriser once - but that was the very last resort.

Cheers

Tony

3. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

@Graham-Melbourne
    Welcome to CPL!
    The main burner body should also un-screw from the polished part ..you should then be able to see the top of the vapouriser?
    Tony is right..gentle heat on the spigot tube and gentle tapping may start to loosen up some corrosion..even heat and quench?
    good luck mate:thumbup:

4. Graham-Melbourne

Graham-Melbourne Australia Subscriber

Tilley R1 burner disassembled.jpg R1 burner head.jpg Thank you to everyone for good advice. A combination of WD-40 and some heat saw it all in pieces. The mantle support tube unscrewed from the burner head but what was left appeared as one piece. Doesn't matter now, ready to finish the mantle and reassemble.

Thanks again for all advice!

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Graham-Melbourne
    Excellent bit of "thinking outside of the box" those welsh plugs will work a treat.
    Cheers
    Pete