Tilley R1/R1A - Draught shield dimensions

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Maurice Snowdon, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Maurice Snowdon

Maurice Snowdon Subscriber

Hello,
    Here is the information you requested on the radiator pre-heating tube. I use the R1's all the time. If you use the old style of burner head the tube is absolutely essential, Inside or outside. If you don't you will have to pre-heat twice.
    Yours,
    Maurice.

1327794733-Picture_3.jpg 1327794750-Picture_1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

In the days when Nescafe came in real tins instead of paper crap they made great stuff to create these with. I reckon I probably made a dozen or so. None were welded either. I made them like the originals with rolled edges and riveted joints. I think I gave them all away. ::Neil::

3. Derek

Check out sweetcorn tins with the Jolly Green Giant on. Some are of the same dimensions - though you will need two end on end to make the correct length. Bit fiddly to make and fix together (I riveted mine) but works a treat.

4. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Not sure if we have those here in the US, but I'll check. When I'm in the market and I think of it, I look for possible candidates. So far the tall asparagus tin (too short and too wide) and the sardine tin (too narrow) have not worked out.
    I'll eventually find something closer, then cut & rivet.

1328392167-cans_2.jpg

The asparagus were terrible, I'm hoping the sardines are better :)

Dan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  5. Maurice Snowdon

Hello Dan,
    Since Neil mentioned using old tins, I never even thought of using one. I hope someone does not get arrested (or locked up), walking around a supermarket with a tape measure ! At the time I did not have a draught tube so borrowed one from a friend and copied. Being in engineering all my life I just made it out of regular steel. Anyway I think it's still the way to go.
    Maurice.

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

In the meantime, try using a beercan...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Old coffee cans were best. I used to buy them with coffee in and always saved them for mailing glass around the world. So I had a supply and just cut the ends off and cut up a side to roll the metal out flat and then you have a nice big sheet of half decent steel to play with. They make smaller cans now out of some sort of paper junk which is useless. I think you can still get the bigger catering pack size and they may still be steel. Not sure but I know supermarkets here don't do the big cans any more. ::Neil::

8. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Due to the dimensions provided here I made my own style of a Tilley Draught Shield.

I used a brass tube that I could buy already cut, it's length is 150mm and the diameter 60mm. The other parts used are a 2mm stainless steel wire and four stainless steel adjusting rings, the screws fixed with high temperature thread locker.

I used a Proxxon (same like Dremel) to make the cut out and the four holes.

1354978219-IMGP3875_opt.jpg

1354978251-IMGP3876_opt.jpg

1354978294-IMGP3877_opt.jpg

1354978340-IMGP3873_opt.jpg

Attached Files:

9. longilily United Kingdom

Cooooool 8) 8) 8)

And a very tidy job Stephan, Well done :thumbup:

10. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Thanks Ray,

with limited skills and possibilities you will have to be resourceful :D/

The tube is intended for miniature pressure vessels for the construction of models, 1mm wall thickness, there are tubes made of copper available, they have 2mm :lol:

It's the same with the other materials, also for model making.

11. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Very posh draught shield and a fine creation! :thumbup:

12. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Thats the best looking draught shield i've seen :clap: :clap: :clap: 8) , is it gold plated :doh: :D :thumbup:

Nice job do you need my adress to send me one :shock: :D :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup:

13. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Hi Stu,

nope, pure brass, as it came out of the plant, not polished! The camera softened the scratches and the imperfections of my work and the rest did the image optimizer ;)

I'm sure you can produce a better one with your skills and your machines, so better buy the tube and the steel rod instead of paying the postage over the channel ;)

14. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Stephan,

That's not a draft shield, it's a work of art.
    Splendid work!
    You've set the bar very high :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dan

15. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Thanks Jeff and Dan and the others for the nice comments! :content:

The draught shields in the first post are very well made too and they were much more difficult to make than the one I made. I used mostly readily available parts whereas the ones above needed a lot of work just to produce the tube with the ribbings and the trimmed rims. They look quite authentic :thumbup:

I've done a first testing and the brass gets very hot and holds the temperature for a few minutes, so better don't place it on sensitive surfaces :lol:

The stainless steel wire works very well, it stays cold and even when the brass is hot you can remove the shield without being concerned to burn your fingers.

The handle is wide enough to hang the shield simply at the brass hook right at the back of the reflector to let it cool down. This was not intended but is very useful :thumbup:

16. Shed-Man R.I.P.

Last one that I made was from an empty Butane gas can. Size was almost perfect.

Steve.

17. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Thats bloody good idea Steve :clap: :clap: :clap: 8) :thumbup: i have one thats just emptied :D :thumbup: , must give it a go :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup:

18. Maurice Snowdon

Well that's how Rolls Royce would probably have tackled the design. It's great to see such a lot of interest in my original posting.
    Maurice.