Tilley R55 Issues

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by daesm, Feb 19, 2021.

1. daesm

daesm Subscriber

Hi,

Moving on from my previous post, I've solved the issue of the fumes coming from the radiator but I now have another problem. After lighting the mantle glows red as it should and I have nice blue flames coming out of the burner with a good heat output. After a few minutes the blue flames seem to disappear and a blue halo appears around the mantle and the mantle no longer burns red and heat output has fallen significantly.

I assume it is either a problem with the vapouriser or the burner. The top part of the burner I can revolve around on its axis as in that I cannot tighten it to the lower part of the burner although it does not feel loose. This is the only R55 I have so I don't know if that is normal. I have a R1 and I don't recall that occurring (I can't check as it is on loan to a friend). Are the burners interchangeable?

Any advice much appreciated as I've no idea!

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @daesm

Can you post a photo of your burner?

The R1 burner is interchangeable with the R55.

Tony

3. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

You say that the blue flame disappears? Are you losing pressure in the tank?

4. daesm

daesm Subscriber

I'll have to take the pic tomorrow. I was about to take a pic tonight and then SWMBO came into the kitchen and switched all the lights on.....

The pressure seems to be holding fine and I cannot spot any leaks.

5. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

If it is the last burner type for Tilley heaters (1222) then it won't dismantle completely, but you should be able to take the mantle support or spigot out along with the burner grid .. those parts are still available..

It may be that the vapouriser is choked up?

Have you had a look at the cleaning needle? ... If there is carbon clinging to it then you may be able to carefully clean it off, but take care not to damaged the fine needle end.

Sometimes if the jet is ok it's possible to clean a lot of the carbon out of a choked vap tube.. lots of threads on here about that ...

Apart from your R1, have you any other Tilleys that you could borrow or swap parts to test?

The heater burner will work on an X246 if it sits/seats properly and doesn't foul the cage? .. or you could try a shorter lantern vapouriser in the heater to check out the burner?

Hope all that makes sense :thumbup:

pics will help a lot :thumbup:

6. podbros

Hi @daesm .. Just had a thought... How much fuel did you have in the tank at the time?

Sometimes if the level is low it can affect burner performance and may not have helped things?

7. daesm

daesm Subscriber

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I've taken a few pics of the burner. To answer the above questions, I had it 3/4 full of fuel and I checked the vapouriser and it looked ok.

20210308_192255.jpg 20210308_192311.jpg 20210308_192335.jpg 20210308_192411.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2021
  8. daesm

daesm Subscriber

I still need to learn how to upload pics properly!

9. Tony Press

@daesm

I assume the spigot has the ceramic tube, but I can’t quite make it out on the photos.

When you press “Full Size” the photo will appear where your cursor is in the text box. I always put two “returns” after each photo.

Cheers

Tony

10. podbros

@daesm Thanks for the pics ...

What is the thread like as you screw the spigot back into the main body?

Does it feel ok, or is there some freeplay that might indicate a potential problem?

Are there any parts that are loose at all anywhere on the burner?

edit : just re-read your first post and noticed that you mentioned about the burner parts moving?

Do you have any other Tilley lamps apart from your other heater?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Yes - simply put your text and picture codes on different lines like this:-
    "Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I've taken a few pics of the burner. To answer the above questions, I had it 3/4 full of fuel and I checked the vapouriser and it looked ok. (NOW PRESS THE RETURN BUTTON)
    code for picture 1; code for picture 2 etc...

12. daesm

daesm Subscriber

Hi, I've just checked and the ceramic tube is on the spigot and the spigot tightens fully into the burner with no play. It is the top part of the burner - the 'dome' that can spin around on the burner body if that makes sense? I.e. it is not fixed. I do have a R1 radiator but, sods law, I lent it to a mate so that he could heat his conservatory when we were in our virtual pub late on a Friday night during lockdown! I've a fair few tilley lamps but I don't know if the parts are inter-changeable.

13. Tony Press

@daesm

The shortest path to seeing whether it’s the burner or not is to swap it with your other burner when it gets back.

Those domes on the later Tilley radiator burners can be a bit loose, but usually don’t affect the burn on the mantle. You could try using some liquid muffler sealant on the join where it’s spinning.

The other thing to check is no spiders or wasp nests inside the air tube or burner.

Cheers

Tony

14. daesm

daesm Subscriber

Thank, Tony. The burner is clear as I gave it a good clean :)

15. podbros

Well, if you have other Tilleys then why not try a good working 606 vapouriser on it off an X246 and see if the burner works ok on that??

if it does then that will point towards the vapouriser as possible cause?

Or Firstly, take the hood, burner and glass out and stick the burner onto the X246 and give it the beans??

That should help narrow things down? @daesm

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  16. daesm

daesm Subscriber

Took your advice PB and tried the burner on a X246 vapouriser and it works fine so it must be the vapouriser that came with the R55 that is at fault. Can anyone let me know what type it is that I need as it is longer in length than the ones on the 246. Many thanks for all your help!

17. Tony Press

@daesm

You require the Tilley 169 vapouriser.

Cheers

Tony