Tilley R55 Issues

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by daesm, Feb 19, 2021.

1. daesm

daesm Subscriber

Hi,

Moving on from my previous post, I've solved the issue of the fumes coming from the radiator but I now have another problem. After lighting the mantle glows red as it should and I have nice blue flames coming out of the burner with a good heat output. After a few minutes the blue flames seem to disappear and a blue halo appears around the mantle and the mantle no longer burns red and heat output has fallen significantly.

I assume it is either a problem with the vapouriser or the burner. The top part of the burner I can revolve around on its axis as in that I cannot tighten it to the lower part of the burner although it does not feel loose. This is the only R55 I have so I don't know if that is normal. I have a R1 and I don't recall that occurring (I can't check as it is on loan to a friend). Are the burners interchangeable?

Any advice much appreciated as I've no idea!

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @daesm

Can you post a photo of your burner?

The R1 burner is interchangeable with the R55.

Tony

3. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

You say that the blue flame disappears? Are you losing pressure in the tank?

4. daesm

daesm Subscriber

I'll have to take the pic tomorrow. I was about to take a pic tonight and then SWMBO came into the kitchen and switched all the lights on.....

The pressure seems to be holding fine and I cannot spot any leaks.

5. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

If it is the last burner type for Tilley heaters (1222) then it won't dismantle completely, but you should be able to take the mantle support or spigot out along with the burner grid .. those parts are still available..

It may be that the vapouriser is choked up?

Have you had a look at the cleaning needle? ... If there is carbon clinging to it then you may be able to carefully clean it off, but take care not to damaged the fine needle end.

Sometimes if the jet is ok it's possible to clean a lot of the carbon out of a choked vap tube.. lots of threads on here about that ...

Apart from your R1, have you any other Tilleys that you could borrow or swap parts to test?

The heater burner will work on an X246 if it sits/seats properly and doesn't foul the cage? .. or you could try a shorter lantern vapouriser in the heater to check out the burner?

Hope all that makes sense :thumbup:

pics will help a lot :thumbup:

6. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @daesm .. Just had a thought... How much fuel did you have in the tank at the time?

Sometimes if the level is low it can affect burner performance and may not have helped things?