Tilley SDR Type 1

Discussion in 'SDR' started by James, Aug 5, 2014.

1. James

James Subscriber

I found this type 1 SDR through the small ads. Sometimes I prefer to find lamps like this that have been well used with a bit of history.

The tank has been crudely repaired with solder. It looks like the knob of the control cock was lost and something has been soldered on.

The bolts holding the top reflector are missing and have been replaced by split pins. The edges of the top reflector look a bit rough like they were crudely cut but I think it is the original part.

The base plate of the tank has a nice big dent in it. Must have been hit with some force to do that to it.

When the seller told me he had a spare glass for it I thought I might end up with two original SDR globes but alas one is the non-standard 2081 glass that I will have to grind down. The other glass doesn't fit and I am not sure what it is for.

The top cap is a piece of rust but I have a brass one around here somewhere. There is a chap in Korea selling orange caps who might be able to run me off a few black ones sometime.

1407258009-sdr1.jpg 1407258020-sdr2.jpg 1407258030-sdr3.jpg 1407258037-sdr4.jpg 1407258054-sdr5.jpg 1407258063-sdr6.jpg 1407265474-sdr_running.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a good restoration project.

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Nice find. Wants a little work maybe but these are not so common and the effort and expense of a restoration should be well worth while. ::Neil::

4. James

James Subscriber

Well that's two down one to go (the hardest to find of course).

5. James

James Subscriber

Here is the lamp after restoration.

I cleaned off the solder from the tank and discovered that all four bosses had broken off the cage uprights and were stuck in the tank. I drilled out the stubs and retapped the threads. My fear was to drill too far but it was obvious once the drill had gone through the stub.

Next I drilled holes into the cage uprights and soldered the shafts of four brass 2BA bolts into the holes. This allowed the cage to be attached to the tank the way it should.

Then I wiped off the pigeon s**t solder from around the control cock fitting. Of course it was leaking so I redid the soldering but neater.

I replaced the control cock with a spare as the thread on the spindle was destroyed.

Finally the tank was resprayed, the reflectors polished and a new enamel cap added.

1417474028-sdr1.jpg 1417474039-sdr2.jpg 1417474046-sdr3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled! :thumbup: :thumbup:

7. Claus C

Welldone James. It looks very nice now.
    The black top and the paint on the tank was realy decking it up. You are Lucky the parabol is so fine, while I think it is hard to do anything to if damaged. :thumbup:

Claus C

8. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

Wow top job it's marvelous.

9. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Good effort and a result! That took some time to complete. Nice.