Tilley TL 136 Won't light properly

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MG, Oct 15, 2017.

1. MG

MG United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi all,

I cleaned and serviced my TL 136 today and had it running perfectly with no globe or mantle fitted but just tried it again with globe and mantle and it won't run at all, it just flames up so i've given up for the night,
    anyone got any ideas on what's wrong, it may be obvious but i can't think of anything at present,
    The mantle was correctly fitted and i pre heated for long enough, it has the 606 vapouriser fitted and the pre heater was a tightish fit but there was plenty of flame around the vapouriser,
    Thanks.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The jet on the vapouriser may have enlarged.

3. MG

Thanks Jeff,

Would it run fine at low pressure without globe and mantle with an enlarged jet though?

4. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

@MG

Did you fully open the pump screw before the second pre heating? Otherwise pressurized/expanding paraffin might have risen up the vapourizer (vapou-riser :lol:), escaping liquid out of the orifice causing the flames.

5. MG

Yes i released the pressure in the tank before trying to light it again, i pre heated, then opened the valve and then pumped but instead of a nice pop there was a nice flame.

6. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Was the valve closed before or after releasing the pressure after your first try? Could it be possible that there was paraffin trapped in the vapourizer that expanded when getting warmed up and escaped liquid?

7. MG

I don't think there was any paraffin in the vapouriser as when i opened the valve i had to pump at least seven times before anything happened and the tank is three quarters full.

8. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Sooting flames are usually a sign of insufficient pre heating, maybe you pre heated not long enough and/or pumped too fast so that there was no time for the vaporization to take place. Only my humble opinion whilst practicing remote diagnostics :lol:

9. MG

Agreed and when i first started i made that mistake but i preheated for at least a couple of minutes although the flames didn't actually hug the vapouriser as well as they did without the globe fitted so that may have something to do with it, i will try and pre heat with a blow torch tomorrow to see if anything changes, if the jet was enlarged it shouldn't of run very well on the test run should it?

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Sometimes it's best to preheat twice using two torches one right after the other and jets can enlarge at any time.

11. MG

Well its the first time i've had to preheat twice but it did the trick and it fired up just right,

Its quite bright but there is a bit of a halo around the mantle which didn't go away after about 15 minutes so i'd say a new vapouriser is needed,

Thanks for the advice gents :thumbup: :)