Tilley X246 Pork Pie early model

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Paraffinhead, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:55 PM.

1. Paraffinhead

Paraffinhead United Kingdom Subscriber

I just bought this for the princely sum of £20, a Mk1 or Mk2 porky. Only issue that I have found so far (other than a slightly ratty hood top) is that one of the vertical cage rods has snapped at the top of the thread. The rod screws directly into a boss in the tank therefore this is a problem.

Does anyone have either a spare threaded cage rod (probably stored behind the Unicorn horns in your flying pig hangar) or know what the thread is on these? I don't want to inflict JB Weld, superglue or solder if I don't have to. I usually hang my lamps from a beam in my garage but the cage is significantly weakened by having one leg "in the air" and don't trust it.

As the early preheaters sell for an eye-watering amount on ebay I view it as buying a preheater with a free lamp thrown in :)

Paul.

lamp.jpg

2. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Thread is 2ba, useful to have a tap and die in this size when working with Tilley lamps.

3. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Nice lamp, should fettle nicely.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That lantern should restore well enough!:thumbup:

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Paraffinhead

That’s a fine lantern and I hope you get the threads sorted on that rod.

Does the lantern have a long or short bail (handle)?

Tony

6. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Wow, nice one to fettle. Hey @Tony Press, I too would like get hold of a long Handle jobbie.

7. Tony Press

@AussiePete

I'll keep my eye out for one.

Cheers

Tony

8. Paraffinhead

Paraffinhead United Kingdom Subscriber

Long handle - which would make it a MkII I believe? Having spent a little fettling time on the lamp today I discovered the vertical brass rods are peened over fixing them to the top cage ring rather than screwing in. Unless I drill the tops off each of them it looks like I'll have to repair the broken rod with JB Weld or superglue. Not what I was hoping for but rather that than potentially damaging the other three.

Paul.

9. Tony Press

@Paraffinhead

Could you take the entire cage off, and braze a new threaded piece to the bottom of the broken rod?

Classifying these lanterns is a dark art, but I usually use @Mackburner ’s “Pressure Lamp Catalogue” as the guide. Your lantern is the long-handled variation of the first version of the X246. We assume the short-handled version was short-lived (it gets very toasty on the fingers carrying one!).

Cheers

Tony

10. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

You could carefully file the tops off so you can remove the uprights and then peen them over again after. You’d have to make sure the two holding the handle were secure else the lamp would drop out of your hand.](*,)