1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tilley x246 Quick Fettle

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Pauly, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Pauly

Pauly Australia Subscriber

Hi guys,

I have a problem. Some of you know me from my first purchase Austramax... that is nearly up and running properly. Well a Tilley x246 popped up a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't help myself but buy it. My wife has told me two is enough. I think she is right but now I'm thinking well what if an EVEN BETTER one comes up later.... or maybe a little kero stove....

Now that I know what I'm looking at a little I worked out pretty quickly that it needed a new leather pump bucket and it had at least two leaking seals. I bought a seal kit and while I had planned on not touching this until I had the Austramax up and running I couldn't help myself. Very pleased to see one of these pressure lanterns up and running in real life and they really are a lovely sight to see.

I have concluded the tilleys are probably a little easier to service than the austramaxes. But also this time around I'm focusing on function first, and really have not touched the cosmetics.

Unpacked after purchase and I'm surprised someone has kept the box all these years!!
    tilley before any work.jpg

And after a new seal kit put through, tank flush, clean of all internals, sandpaper on the heavily sooted pricker rod, a new mantle, and I used yellow gas tape twisted into string for the gland seal which the previous owner had repaired previously using kitchen silk string which was not holding air at time of purchase. This is definitely going into the back of the 4wd for our Christmas camping trip:

tilley is alive.jpg

2. KAB

KAB United Kingdom Subscriber

Very nice purchase, looks in good condition for age, may well have a date stamp on the base.
    You do realize that two lamps make a breading pair there will by more :D/

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The lamping bug bites deeply and you were lucky to find a boxed example and your Tilley is working well!:thumbup::clap::D/:D/:clap::thumbup:

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Great Lumley - cultural capital of N.E. England
    There should have been two gland seals in the service kit. You can also use an 'O' ring...

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Australia Subscriber

Congratulations Pauly. :clap::clap:
    When found in a box the lantern is more protected and normally in better condition than one sitting on a shed shelf.
    The date stamp on the bottom of the lantern will be something like 659XA. M/YY What the XA represents is ??.
    The Tilley jar will also have a manufacture date on the bottom.
    The metho tin is from an Aladdin lantern so you now need one to go with the tin. :lol:

6. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Seriously, two lanterns will NEVER be enough, but how you convince your wife... well, that's another matter altogether! Tell here you need extras for spares as they are hard to come by... tell her they are valuable and therefore an investment, tell her they're really handy in power outages and much safer than candles. You need one for each room (see previous) in case of emergency.

I'm sure the guys on here can come up with a few more... in fact, that sounds like the subject for a new thread...

'Reasons Why You Definitely Need More Lanterns!'

7. Stuart Taylor

Stuart Taylor United Kingdom Subscriber

Tell her your having as many lamps as she has shoes.

8. Jean J

Jean J United Kingdom Subscriber

Well I definitely have more lamps than shoes (and bags and other girlie things)!

9. Pauly

Hi @David Shouksmith , for some reason the seal kit I got did not have the two seals, but it did have what looks like some leather string which I'm guessing they have included for the gland packing.

@ROBBO55 , All it says on the underside is "Made in England". I can't see a date stamp anywhere on the underside.
    The Tilley jar has the following markings on the bottom - 12222, then 5, then A544.

Good to know where the metho tin has come from. I've been using it to fill my Austramax metho cup.

10. steerpike451 United Kingdom

IIRC your lamp would have been made between 1954 (when that style of frame was introduced and they started stamping the makers name on the tank) and 1956 (when they started putting date codes on the tank)

11. Pauly

Thanks @steerpike451 . And so if the jar is anything to go by "A544" might be indicative of 1954.

12. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Australia Subscriber

@Pauly

Sorry I forgot about the two years in between without date stamps.

It's quite possible. On later models that I have seen the date stamp on the jar is just 2 numbers for the year.

13. Pauly

Can anyone tell me how I am meant to read the little pressure indicator on the tank? Will the inner rod pop out to perfectly flush at maximum? I can see it has come out nearly all the way with 100 pumps.

14. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

When the inner rod is level with the outer tube then the pressure is correct.

15. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes with full pressure the inner rod should be flush with the outer. This is a most unreliable gauge and is frequently found non functional or the rod protrudes too far with little or no pressure. Looks like this.

!!Pressure_indicator_in_lantern.jpg

In time the spring weakens and allows the inner rod to push higher. The simple solution is to "set" the gauge by filling the lamp with 1.5 imperial pints and give 100 pump strokes, then file the rod until it is flush with the outer again. ::Neil::

16. Pauly

Thanks guys :)