Tilley x246 with a wobble

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by John Sayer, Jul 9, 2020.

1. John Sayer United Kingdom

My new project to restore a x246. just realised it has a wobble, the base has blown out a little, no leaks, looks like it has been like that for a while as the paint iis all gone on the bulge.
    Is there a way off 'pushing it back' without causing a bigger problem?
    John IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1469.JPG

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Throw it away... If the base (on that variation of the X246) is blown, you have the potential for catastrophic failure of the internal seam in the tank.

Keep the bottom plate for a reflector, and take the rest of the tank to the metal merchant.

Cheers

Tony

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Subscriber

I agree the fount is not usable for a lantern any more but don't send it to the metalo.
    With a bit of triming it may a suitable windsheid for a small stove. I have one the same though the later model.
    It will definately not go for scrap. Devising a plan now.

Geoff

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  4. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @John Sayer

You can still use them at lower pressures but there is always the 'uncertainty' factor that plays on my mind..What if?

I don't know the general condition of the rest of the Guardsman so it's down to you whether you want to restore and put it on a shelf or to use for spares?

The date stamp looks something like 2 59 ? But you could always get an earlier tank/fount as they were made better with an extra 'crimp' or swage line, there are always some on ebay or perhaps there is someone on here that has a spare?

Lots of options!:)

5. John Sayer United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice gents. The risk of buying in an online auction. i'll sit back and wait for a guardsman fount come along at the right price.

6. John Sayer United Kingdom

I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong but if I used it and it was lit and the tank fractured would I not just have a sudden loss of pressure and lamp goes out and I would just have paraffin leaking out. The tank looks solid.

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    This thread is a bit like “déjà vu happening all over again and repeating itself”.

Blown Tilley tanks is a recurring discussion, and the site has a very good search engine. The discussion always ends up at the same place:

Blown Bottoms..... is there a cure ?

Cheers

Tony

9. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The parts will be useful through time.:thumbup:

10. paul m

paul m Subscriber

John, i'll have loads of tanks etc here

11. John Sayer United Kingdom

Having taken on board whats been said about blown tanks and read previous post's i certainly wont be using it as it is. I mentioned my predicament to the lady of the house and she said "oh, I want one without any paraffin in as a ornament/decorative piece " Problem solved. I was intending to just to clean it up, have it working and leaving it with petina but now it will get a full make over.

12. Matty

I'd stick 50 or 60 PSI in the fount and let it sit for a couple of weeks. If you find in a couple of weeks the fount has held pressure, I personally, wouldn't be bothered at all using the lamp with 15 PSI in it.

13. Pancholoco1911 United States

@paul m I will gladly use one of yours, I have the same issue with my speculum x246 and don’t get lit so often because of that

14. isfuzzy

isfuzzy Subscriber

I think what I am about to say is sacrilegious... These bulging tanks together with ugly rusted out frames and hoods. I would rather give them to those people who electrifies lamps than to see these things in the scrapyards.

I hate those people most of the time because they ruin good functioning lamps.. But in this case, some pieces of history just too dangerous to run as intended. Electrifying is the way to go..
    Please don't block my account for 'Electriying'..

15. John Sayer United Kingdom

I have not gone as far as turning it electric but I have gone against my principals as an ex vintage motorcycle owner I always rode my bikes to a show, never won anything, the winners always came on a trailer or van probably with no internals but looked good. I insisted that what i restore worked but this lamp is now for show only. I got a can of tan coloured paint mixed as a match for the hood, sprayed the cage black and got an off the shelf tin of gold for the tank. The lamp is now retired like myself, at least its not scrapped it has found a nice place to hang out.

lamp1.JPG lamp2.JPG

16. broadgage

If I had a Tilley with a bulged tank, I would neither use it, nor scrap it, but would store the tank for future electrocution.
    I have previously done exactly that. A local theatre group asked me to electrocute a couple of rather nice almost new Tilleys, It seemed to shame to ruin two decent lamps, so I persuaded them that a couple of older lamps would be more authentic.
    I got rid of two bulged tanks, and acquired two good X246Bs. WIN/WIN. And since I modified the damaged tanks there is no risk of anyone ever using them and having an accident. (I made a new and removable base, in order that batteries could be fitted within)

I consider it most regrettable to spoil a working, or readily restored lamp, but if it is unsafe to use anyway, why not.