Tilley X246

Discussion in 'X246' started by 91880, Mar 30, 2020.

1. 91880 United Kingdom

Hello all!

Just received my first CPL. (Photo's attached) I think it's mid to late 1950's. There is no date stamp that I can see. Other than a seal change and getting hold of a pre-heater. Not sure where I should start. Any tips and advice would be much appreciated along with some confirmation of age.

Thanks

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2020
  2. steerpike451

steerpike451 United Kingdom Subscriber

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 1954- the year that style of frame was introduced and that style of tank discontinued.
    Nice that you have the original deep bottom glass- with luck all you'll need is a good clean and a seal kit.

3. 91880 United Kingdom

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

From research and the lack of any date stamp. I think this lamp is 1952-1953.

I have given it an initial gentle clean.

4. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome from the Scottish Highlands.
    That’s looking good. Give the burner a blow through to remove any beasties that might have made their home in there. A good reliable old lantern.
    As @steerpike451 mentioned, the original deep globe is nice, you might want to find a more common later globe for when it’s running, just to preserve the now getting rare deeper globe.
    Once you get it fettled, let’s be seeing the money shot. You’ll get such a sense of satisfaction when it first pops into life. Be warned, if you get another lamp, they will breed......

5. paparazi

There is much to like, deep 171 glass, early butterfly pump?, beautiful condition on the tank and not ballooned with near intact transfer...shame about the top but the enamel is a bit prone on these ..hayho.

Martin

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

7. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

A very nice authentic lamp in very good condition!
    Perhaps you still need to clean the tank, as that brown drab from the filler opening hints at something sticky? And flush out the valve/ pricker assembly to make sure fuel goes it's intended path.
    Welcome to this site where you will find knowledge, experience and friendly encouragement.
    Well, most of the time - I get my coat....

8. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome to CPL! :)

That has cleaned up really nicely, so well done on your first buy:thumbup:

There are lots of threads on here about fettling these Tilleys...they were very well made back then, and will probably just need cleaning and new seals and washers, as has been said already...you can even still pick up vapourisers for these quite readily should the one in yours be beyond cleaning.. quite often a good clean and some gentle tapping can release lots of built-up carbon... there are even whole threads dedicated to resurrecting 'vap tubes' ...care needs to be taken with the needle inside the vapouriser as the tip is very fine and can be bent easily if forced?

Best wishes

9. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@91880
    Welcome from Queensland Australia.
    These Tilley X246s AKA Guardsman, are very good and reliable lanterns. Having the original deep dish glass is a bonus and I do like the winged filler pump cap.
    You can source the necessary parts from the Fettle Box, accessed through this forum site. You can also find replacement parts from people like “Juliands” purveyors on the bay of evil.
    Enjoy your fettle and don’t forget to post the “money shot”. (A photo of the lantern’s first light up after it’s restoration).
    Cheers
    Pete

10. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

11. MYN

Welcome. I think you've just gotten yourself a very nice Tilley. They don't make them like that anymore.

12. plantpot

plantpot United Kingdom Subscriber

I am sure I saw that lamp on ebay a few weeks ago with the muck around the filler cap!

Don't they scrub up well!

I got an early tilley, no wing nut pump but with out the flat attached bits where the handle goes, just loops. It had a little of the remaining tilley waterslide decal but not much it was a real basket case.

It has restored very well and works better than the 2 later ones I have from the 1970s. Even the pressure indicator pip on my one works!

The difference in quality between the early and late ones is like night and day. Great lamps.

You will know if the vap tube is shot, as you will get a very poor burn at the mantle, with a yellowish flame halo around it or a patchy burn. Try cleaning the tube with a large straight heavy duty paperclip wire, and bend the tip with pliers slightly so it will scratch the inside of the tube, or find an old bike brake cable to shove up it. Then good hard tap to the base on a wood top, to get out the carbon as its been said before. If all fails ebay for a new vap tube.

If you try the heat and quench method, don't do what I did and heat the end where the pricker comes out... My one fell apart with the heat!

Don't be tempted to unscrew the burner air tubes from the burner body, as you can damage the seal or threads, just a blow through and a rodding with a wire to get any thing out is advisable.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. James K

James K Subscriber

That is a nice lamp you have there, my first pressure lamp was the exact same model, it ran faultlessly for years and I used it a lot. Then one day I decided to look on eBay for an almost new one to treat myself, and the rest is history.
    Enjoy your lamp, it's a really good one.
    James

14. Mr Matthew Burton United Kingdom

Hello, I have got one of these exactly the same as your pictures (1954 X246 Guardsman) , I know this is probably the wrong place to ask but here we go ............ I am considering converting this into an indoor electric lamp with an LED flame effect bulb, however, before I start drilling holes in it I wanted to best understand its value or if it is a truly collectable item. I know collectors will thinks its sacrilege to do what I am planning but thought I should ask.

15. 91880 United Kingdom

Nooooooo

16. Mr Matthew Burton United Kingdom

An expected reply but does not answer my question ..........I wanted to best understand its value or if it is a truly collectable item ?

Its also got original deep bottom glass with an original "Tiley Durosh 171" stamp on it.

17. 91880 United Kingdom

No idea.

18. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

The model you intend to modify is not particular valuable. In general this model does not fetch more than 40 quid in good condition; a particular assessment is not given on this site.
    However, if you enjoy the electrificated lamp for its character, this might lead to a curiosity for the real thing - that you happen to have made unoperational.
    I wish you well.

19. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Mr Matthew Burton

If it’s as you describe, it is good quality and a shame to make unusable as a pressure lantern, in my opinion.

I’m sure someone can send you a later X246B to “electrocute”. Or you could find a way of not putting a hole in the tank for the cord.

Cheers

Tony

20. paparazi

I have a font that is ballooned that I would gladly swap.. Personally I believe the Guardsman to be one of the most undervalued lamps out there. So you can pick one up in great condition for less than £50.. electrification, only on scrap .. nuff said.

21. plantpot

@Mr Matthew Burton

Instead of drilling holes in it and rendering it serviceable as they are not particularly valuable, why not consider polishing up the brass burner and vapouriser tube (steel) to gleaming and adding led lights into the top of the burner hood, running the cable through the hood slats and down the back of the lamp to the plug in power supply? You can also get remote control leds that give you more lighting effects.

no holes required and you can also get mini led clusters that run on a switched battery pack.

22. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@91880

Hi and welcome to the forum. A lovely lamp to start with which has cleaned up nicely. Looking forward to seeing your “money” shot.

Regards Jeremy

23. 91880 United Kingdom

24. 91880 United Kingdom

25. plantpot

@91880

Scrubbed up nicely... excellent work!

26. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@91880
    Congratulations on you successful and well done fettle, all confirmed with your money shot.
    Now the next lantern ........
    Cheers
    Pete

27. X246A

@91880

Excellent! You should be proud of your first fettle. Not so sure about the Deanston fuel you appear to be using!:D

Do you have another lamp to fettle or what is on your wish list?

Regards Jeremy

28. 91880 United Kingdom

Hi Jeremy, the Deanston provides an unrivalled glow and warmth and tastes much better than paraffin. Happy with my lamp, I think this will be the only one though. Prices seem too high on eBay for me to be interested in getting another. Will keep my eyes open though...

29. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

@91880 you did a good job! You’re right, prices are silly on eBay. But, keep your eyes open and you’ll surprised where lamps start turning up.
    Once we’re past the zombie apocalypse, car boot sales are good hunting grounds. One of the most productive ways of finding lamps is asking people you know, it’s amazing what lurks in sheds!

30. X246A

@91880

Ebay prices are silly at present but keep your eyes open on Facebook Market Place, Gumtree and the good old fashioned car boot sales once lockdown is over.

Never say never!

Regards Jeremy