Tilley X246A 364XA

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Polybus, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Polybus

Polybus Australia Subscriber

I suspect I know the answer to this question, but I am going to ask anyway.

I have just finished a complete strip, clean and replacing washers/seals etc on my first Tilley Lamp. Everything was disassembled, cleaned in an UltraSonic Cleaner, blown through with my compressor - I think I did a good job on all that side of things.

I tried the Blue Flame Test, and all looked really good - nice even (but quite small) blue bunson flame all around the ring.

Then I put a mantle on it and tried it.

Yuk!!

The light output is quite poor (100 pumps) - I notice the mantle glows really bright white - as expected - right near the top, but patchy and not so bright all around the lower sections,

I have tried to capture the appearance on some photos, but to be honest, I don't think the photos show the appearance very well - they look substantially better than in real life.

Mantle 2.JPG Mantle 1.JPG

These are not original Tilley mantles - they are cheap ones of CrapBay - I thought I might try them until I've got a better idea about what I am doing with these lamps.

So - thoughts on why its misbehaving? Crappy mantles?? I figure after a good Blue Flame Test - that's about all it could be, and of course the old adage - "You get what you pay for?"

Just another quick one.....

Is it safe to pump these things up as much as it takes to raise the pressure indicator pip? Do the pips ever get stuck and fail to lift?

2. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Good questions, I will leave the brightness answers to others, but the pip can get stuck, best to count and watch if you get to 100 with a correctly filled tank and the pip hasn't moved..... two options..... the pip is stuck, or the pump is not working to its best. I tend to run my lamps on 30 to 50 pumps until I'm happy with the output and may have to add more pumps sooner.
    If you get carried away you may blow the bottom and the lamp will be an ornament that can wobble on the table :cry:

3. Polybus

Interesting comments - I was beginning to wonder whether the pump was working well. The leather pump washer looks OK, it is very supple and pliable - but I have no way of knowing how old it is.

I will perform your little test - and if after 100 pumps the pip has not moved, I might just put a new one in and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for the input - I will report back.

4. Polybus

Maybe I didn't know the answer to this question.

I gave the Tilley 110 pumps - the pressure indicating pip didn't move.

So - pip stuck or pump not working so well.

Despite the fact that I was confident the pump leather washer was fine - I changed that. I gave it a token soak in oil for just a few minutes and put it in. What a difference!! With 100 pumps the pressure indicating pip sits just below flush with the top.

The mantle glows brightly all over and for a lot longer.

Clearly the tests I was doing before were all under performing because I had low pressure in the tank due to the poor pumping abilities of the old leather pump washer. I was pretty confident it was all due to a poor quality mantle - wrong.....

Another lesson learned on my fettling journey.

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That's good news!:thumbup:

6. KAB

KAB Subscriber

7. Polybus

I just noticed I have put the wrong date in the title - it should read 364XA.....perhaps the Moderators can correct it.

And now for the money shot......

After a full fettle, and finally changing the leather pump washer to get the pressure up to where it should be, good old Tilley X246A (364XA) lives again and is performing back to it's best. Not bad for a 54 year old!!

Seems to throw off quite a lot of light.

I'm happy with that :mrgreen: I hope you guys like it too.

Lo-Res001.JPG

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations. :thumbup::thumbup:

9. Polybus

Thanks Robbo :) I can see why this Lantern thing is so addictive :mrgreen:

10. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done, looking good.
    Cheers
    Pete