1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tilley X246B Dec 1974

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Pauly, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Pauly

Pauly Subscriber

Hey guys, another one from my December collection done and back together in the last few days. Cleaned, flush, polish, new seals.

Before (the ugly duckling standing behind other lanterns):
    tilley x246b Dec 1974 before.jpg

After - that makeshift pump thumb cap thingy even came up shiny :lol:. But really, given how good it all came up I'm going to have find a proper replacement somehow! I've had to triple check it is the same lantern as the before/after transformation was unbelievable looking back at the photos, but the non-standard nut on the front gives it away.

tilley x246b Dec 1974 after.jpg
    And test run last night over a couple of hours, no problems:
    tilley x246b Dec 1974 lit.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Pauly

Do you want a replacement pump knob? I have one for that model, I’m sure, somewhere in the shed.

Tony

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON Subscriber

4. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

What a transformation!

5. Pauly

Pauly Subscriber

Hi @Tony Press , thanks for the offer but @Graham P kindly beat you to it!

The second and third time I used this lantern I found that it mysteriously stopped burning after about an hour so of use. I had two other Tilleys running at the same time and this one seemed to be burning as bright as the others before instantly blowing out, with a louder hissing sound coming out of the lantern after stopping burning until I released the pressure.

Do you have any ideas on what this might be? I thought it might be some gunk getting in somewhere but I did heat/quench the burner a few times before initial reassembly, and had no problems re-lighting the lantern for the third use (on different nights).

Has anyone seen this problem before?

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Pauly

If your vapouriser is clean of carbon, it could be some old carbon lurking in the system; or dirty kerosene.

Give the vapouriser a shot of carburettor cleaner.

Tony

7. Pauly

Pauly Subscriber

Good idea @Tony Press . Would you recommend poking a length of wire into the vapouriser at the same time? All I did first time around was heat/quench and then rinse in water, and then checked by eye to see if I could see sunlight coming through, so maybe there was some small residual loose rubbish that has been left floating around in there. I didn't poke anything into there aside obviously from re-insertion of the pricker rod.

The kero was new after the tank was soaked/flushed with soapy water and then rinsed with water and left to dry, which I think with this lantern I did about three months ago. So the kero should be ok I would think. Maybe another possibility is some gunge has subsequently loosened in the tank maybe - I can't remember what the inside of the tank looked like after flushing.

I'll have to see if I can play with this tonight again.

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Pauly

Some folk use thin braided wire to clean the Tilley vapouriser like bicycle brake cord).

Cheers

Tony

9. Pauly

Pauly Subscriber

Hmmm ran it again tonight just for fun and kept a closer eye on it for about 1.5 hrs and it ran without probs (of course it would when I'm watching it a bit more closely).

10. JonD

JonD Subscriber

"this one seemed to be burning as bright as the others before instantly blowing out, with a louder hissing sound coming out of the lantern after stopping burning until I released the pressure"

That is the burn going from inside the mantle to up in the mixing dome instead. I have had it many times.

I think it can be caused by tank pressure dropping too low. Light output can still be adequate but the gas mix is better above the burner holes than below (explosive).

Preferring that it pops up to the dome and carries on there instead. Stop it quickly or it becomes expensive on parts. There is always a squeaky pop then a loud hiss as this occurs.

It's the alarm sound. Wake up!!

11. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON Subscriber

Those aluminium control cocks can be unreliable and it's also possible that some tank residue is loosening off and clogging up the fuel feed tube, it's always a good idea to shove some tying wire into the fuel tube to clear it, gently shove it down the tube until the wire touches the bottom of the tank and repeat that action until the tube feels clear.

12. Pauly

Pauly Subscriber

Thanks guys I'll give the vaporiser and fuel feed tube a good going over again before I use it again. I'll flush out the remaining kero too to get rid of anything that may have loosened inside the tank.