Tilley X246B flames outside mantle.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Dave Lockett, May 30, 2020.

1. Dave Lockett

Dave Lockett United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi all, I was very recently given three pressure lamps by my sister in law. Two Tilleys and one Vapalux. What a revelation, I'm smitten. My wife just laughs at me, I don't care, I love tinkering with them to see if I can get them going again.

I wonder if anyone can offer me advice though, any hints will be gratefully accepted.

The first thing I did was to thoroughly flush all the tanks and re-fill with Premium paraffin. I've had no real trouble with the Vapalux, that's great. I've got the X246 Guardsman working with just replacing all seals, pump leather washer and Tilley mantle.

I can't get the X246B to burn properly. I started by replacing all the seals, pump leather washer and vapouriser and cleaning the burner tubes. All spares were new, genuine Tilley. I hadn't a genuine mantle but had obtained some tie-on, after-market ones from a website for pressure lamp fettlers. I've followed the advice from Broadlander on You-tube (fantastic) with regard to starting etc. But as you can see by the photos it flames outside the mantle and has blackened the mantle. I've swapped the vapouriser for the original one but it still does the same thing. I've also swapped burner heads over. I'm waiting for some genuine Tilley mantles and will try again.

I don't like asking for help, rather I like sorting it myself but I'm a bit stuck now. Any ideas?

Thanks David.

Attached Files:

2. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

@Dave Lockett

Hello David,

I think you vaporizer needs to be replaced.
    I've had very bad luck with the new Tilley vaporizers which are made in China so look an old new stock vaporizer made in the UK. You can find these on the bay of evil or one of our members may be able to help you with acquiring a new old stock vaporizer.

Cheers,
    Norman

3. Dave Lockett

Hi Norman,
    Thanks for replying. After seeing threads about similar problems I couldn't see it being much else but I just wanted to put it past you experts.
    I'll do what you recommend.
    Thanks,
    David.

4. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Dave Lockett ..Welcome to CPL! :)

Good luck with your 'fettling' the X246b and well done on getting your other lanterns running!:thumbup:

5. Dave Lockett

Hi pb,
    Many thanks for the encouragement. I'm amazed, how, from a piece that won't work it can be brought back to life with some tlc and a few basic parts. The wife's now a shed widow!!!!!!!!
    Glad to be welcomed and part of a friendly group.:lol::lol:
    Regards,
    Dave.

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Happy fettling!:thumbup::thumbup:

7. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Dave Lockett
    Welcome from Queensland Australia. There’s a lot of friendly knowledge and experience on this forum, all you gotta do is ask.
    As @Norman has said, assuming you have sufficient pressure, the X246B is running too rich, too much fuel to air ratio. The major cause is the generator/vaporiser jet is too large. Another cause is an air blockage of some sort. I see that you have cleaned the burner tubes etc. so this now points back to the generator.
    For an experiment, it should be possible to swap the X246B’s burner over to the Guardsman and try, and visa versa. This will confirm if the generator is buggered.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. Dave Lockett

Hi all,
    Many thanks for the kind words and advice. It's greatly appreciated. I've managed to get my hands on a 2nd hand vapouriser. I've swapped the new vapouriser for the 2nd hand one and it works fine. I've taken Norman's advice and I've ordered a NOS vapouriser.

Just another query about vapourisers; how does the jet become enlarged? Does it get eroded by the paraffin vapour?
    Thank you very much.
    Regards,
    Dave.

9. Dave Lockett

Thanks Jeff, I'm very happy......................fettling:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Yes, and the use of the pricker wire..but mainly hours and hours of use...

... the older vapourisers seem to be able to take much more 'stick' than later ones as may still be used successfully after being unblocked...pot luck and sod's law applying in equal measures ](*,)

11. Dave Lockett

I don't think I'll chance buying another new vapouriser then.

12. Alby

Alby Subscriber

I have quite a few " dead " Tilley Vapourisers and when you see one opened up at the end you see
    how all the carbon and crud collects there and blocks it. It cannot be removed after time and there are various methods of crap removal ... wire spinning / acidic solutions / penetrating fluid / heat and ..quenching ..there was even one member here had access to superheated steam at his depot .. he swore
    by this method ....
    It is your lucky day if you can clean one .... after time though its the scrapheap for it. The wire method is
    good though and shaking banging to let the crap fall out .... then trawl through life again ...
    for another vapouriser to fettle...:-({|=but..hey its only a hobby:thumbup:

13. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

If it is any consolation I went through the exact learning curve involving the same model. I did buy a new vapouriser (and one for spare) one worked. the other one had the hole so far offset the pricker would not go through it. To Tilleys credit they did send me another instantly.
    best
    C

14. Dave Lockett

Hi all, I managed to buy a new old stock vapouriser with the brass base and also a new one from Tilley. I've tried both on the lamp and they both run great.