Tilley X410

Discussion in 'X410-X410A-X458-X460' started by John, Sep 4, 2013.

1. John

John Subscriber

I came across this X410 on Ebay a few weeks back, sadly no date or model number stamped on this one.

Sorry for all the pictures but the inside workings of these lamps is what keeps me interested.

1378264743-S7300027_opt.jpg

She didn't quite look like this when I got her.

1378264333-_T2eC16F__y0E9s2S5UN2BR69kqhO4Q__60_57_opt_opt.jpg

As you can see she was not very well kept and in need of a good home, this became very apparent upon disassembly. I will never leave paraffin in a lamp again.

1378263505-S7300002_opt_opt.jpg

No lower pip on this one, the "plastic" fuel tube screws into the cock and the filter screws onto the bottom.

1378263800-S7300004_opt_opt.jpg

I believe the pump is the short model used on the iron.

1378264366-S7300007_opt_opt.jpg

The vent is also different than I've seen, the 182 globe latches above the rim and is held in place by a screw. Looks like the mud wasps had a fine home for a while too.

1378264462-S7300009_opt.jpg

I had hoped that the plated tank would cleanup but time and the elements had gotten the better of her. With more than 50% of the finish already gone I had no other option than to strip it down and paint it. Four different colors of metallic brass and I found one I can live with. Couldn't really leave it plain brass now could I?

I added a 164X mantle as the two air tube burner housing was larger than the 191 mantles I keep on hand.

The mantle filled out nicely and she gives a very good light.

1378266061-S7300024_opt_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

Very good restoration :thumbup:

3. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Wow John, hard to believe it's the same lantern! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice to see the "before" pics. What techniques and chemicals (if any) did you use to dissolve the kero gunk (inside tank and parts) and strip the plating? Also, what was the brand name and color of gold paint you used. It's a very nice color match.

Dan

4. Digout

Digout Australia Subscriber

I agree - an excellent Fettle, and a nice looking Lamp

5. John

John Subscriber

Thanks Guys, it was a fun fettle.

Hi Dan,

All of the small parts were soaked in denatured alcohol overnight. From there a good wipe down with a cloth removed most of the residue.

The tank wasn't as difficult at all. I partially filled with alcohol and agitated with steel BB's for several minutes then drained. I then took a long thick bladed flat head screwdriver and wrapped it with a strip of industrial red scotch brite pad that I got from work. With the small size and shape of the tank and no permanent air tube the brush made short work of the crusty stuff.

The tank plating was in awful shape to start with, once the corrosion was removed it had quite the spotty appearance. I've had luck in the past removing plating with vinegar but I went with The Works toilet bowl cleaner this time, a much stronger acid. "Do this outside"

A 10 minute soak, rinse and rubdown with scotch brite then back into the mix for 10 more minutes. It worked pretty good for me but you have to keep your mind on what you are doing.

The paint I decided on is Rust-Oleum Metallic Burnished Brass, part# 7275830. I got my can off Amazon and it is a pretty good match to the older lamps I have.

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Excellent fettling John! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: