1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tilly lamp identification & service

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Jen, May 11, 2018.

1. Jen United Kingdom

Hi

I've got five lamps to service. The far left is my own, I serviced it a couple of decades ago but it hasn't been used in a few years and the washers are starting to perish. The pump 'seems' okay, it needs a new mantle but it's in not in too bad shape.

The other four are out of the Scout group stores and haven't been used for a few years as new Colemans were gifted to the group. As you can tell, they've been unloved and are in need of some TLC.

Is anyone willing to help out a really time-pressured Scout Leader in helping me identify the models of these lamps, what service kits/parts will be needed, new mantles etc. Would be amazingly grateful.

Also, where the best place online to get kits/spares from? There used to be a shop in Guildford that sold Tilly parts, but it's long gone.

Oh, and if anyone is near Guildford / Cranleigh direction and wants to help service a few lamps, I know a time pressured Scout Leader (Me!) who would be happy to have the help.

Thanks

Jen
    Cranleigh Scout Group

IMG_6209.JPG

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

From left to right Tilley X-246-B and another Tilley X-246-B, Tilley X-246-A and two Tilley X-246 GUARDSMAN lanterns, the link below is for the Fettlebox and you can obtain all the washers etc., there and Tilley mantles are often listed on Ebay.
    At your service! - The Fettlebox

3. 1956LD1 Ireland

(from left to right) X246b, X246b, X246a, X246, X246. A good place for spares is the fettle box and nearly all the lamps take the same spares ( bar the NRV rubber on the two X246Bs which I presume you can get on eBay ) They all take the same type of mantle which is Tilley part number 164x or any equivalent. I don't see any preheating torches on the lamps so if you don't have one you will either have to buy or make at least one.
    Regards,
    Josh.

4. Jen United Kingdom

Thanks guys, that's awesome information. I have another couple of questions...

1. What is the NRV rubber that's needed? A quick google hasn't helped me.

2. Other than the mantle, will this do all I need? I assume not the NRV bits?
    Tilley Washer Kit - The Fettlebox

Thanks again

PS. Yes I have a couple of torches.

5. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Jen

The NRV seal you require for the later X246B’s and occasionally in an X246A is the new style 155 see EBay item no. 260973419116.

Alternatively you could purchase Tilley part no. 611 (2 required per lamp) from: Tilley lamp spares and then you will be able to use the old style 155 seal made from better quality vitton from The Fettle Box. This way you would only need to carry one type of spares set.

Regards Jeremy

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Australia Subscriber

7. KAB

KAB United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Jen and welcome.
    One scouter to another.... we have a gathering in the Newhaven, East Sussex area once in a while and sometimes travel to groups to teach the way of Tilley. If you could message me (if I remember correctly - click on my name below the profile picture) and I can can ask the question to a couple of other leaders and how we could help.

8. Jen United Kingdom

Hi, again - really useful information.
    I think I'll use the Coleman lamps this weekend, and get the serviceable lamps up and running when I have the time to plan it out properly. I think it's worth me stripping them down a bit to make sure I can unthread everything.

9. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Jen, until 4 years ago I used to live in Haslemere just down the road and taught regularly at Glebelands school. Thing is, that was before I got into lamps and lanterns! Now I live in Glenfinnan in the Highlands otherwise I'd have been only too happy to help!

10. Jen United Kingdom

Hi thanks Colin, my kids start at Glebelands this Sept

11. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Well, if it's stayed more or less the same as when I used to supply teach there, it's a very good school. Obviously there will be the odd rogue pupil - all schools have them, but by and large I had some very nice times there.