TL 106

Discussion in 'Table & Vase Lamps (TL & VL)' started by Michel, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Michel

Michel Subscriber

Here is what should be a 106 Tilley lamp table I picked up on Ebay those days.
    I am a little puzzled because on the Jim Dick's book and in the gallery, it is written this lamp's fount was painted in cream color.
    You can see that this fount's bottom is gold painted.
    was this a special decor for export to France/Europe ?

On the dome of the burner, I found "pat 202485". Could this give me an closer idea of the production years. I read 1949/1959 but also 1949/1954 !!??

Is this creamy lamp shade (I don't like very much) a good choise for this model ?
    thanks for all advices

1472817707-IMG_5436.JPG

1472817707-IMG_5436.JPG 1472817880-IMG_5438.JPG 1472817903-IMG_5441.JPG 1472817911-IMG_5442.JPG 1472818061-IMG_5440.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

No, Michel, it's an awful choice and I think you should send it to me immediately - I like it a lot! ;) :lol: (That's a joke, by the way, in case anyone's not understood.)

It's quite possible the lamp was painted originally but that was removed for some reason. Maybe it didn't fit in with the owner's taste or decor. Maybe it just became chipped, stained or worn.

The patent number on the burner will probably refer to the date that was granted rather than the year of production of your lamp.

Anyway, it's a nice thing and I wish I had it here - well found... :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

No, no David, that shade would be better off joining my small collection.

4. Michel

Michel Subscriber

In french we say "les goûts et les couleurs ne se discutent pas" : tastes and colors do not discus
    but I still prefer white shade lamps ;-)
    If you have one to exchange .... ;-)

Oh David ! you have not the 106 !!??
    Well, I guess, as i found this Tilley here in France I must feel happy

5. David Shouksmith

Well, I've got one or two (somewhere) but not with that lovely shade on them. In fact, I've not got any Tilley shades at all with the decal / transfer / print on. :cry: (Big 'Awww' for David...)

6. Michel

Michel Subscriber

Terry Marsh talks about this lamp of a production between 1952 and 1956 !!??

7. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes that is an early production TL106. Probably originally painted cream with a polished rim and handle and the base plate painted gold. After about 1956 the rim is stamped with "Tilley - logo - England" That shade is worth a lot more than the lamp. All the decorated shades are rare. After around 50 years collecting I have only one example. You may not like it but it is to be treasured. ::Neil::

8. David Shouksmith

Yes, I have a blue painted one which was listed on eBay by a well-known and respected collector as possibly original Tilley. My gut feeling is that it isn't, mainly because the paint finish is in much better condition than the patina on the rest of the lamp.

Still, for a mere £31 complete I didn't feel robbed in the least - in fact, an absolute bargain! It waited patiently for about 10 years in the fettling queue and its time came round a few weeks ago. A few seals, a mantle and thirty minutes later it was running like a little belter. It just needs Michel's shade sitting on top of it now... :D/

9. Michel

Michel Subscriber

HaHaHa, OK I surrender, David and Neil
    I'll keep this shade as a treasure ;-)