Turner 711

Discussion in 'Turner' started by Mackburner, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Here is a little cutiepie. I think around 200 cp for gasoline. This one had a broken pricker rod but I found the rod from model 1511 fits and since that clunker won't run I stole it to use in the 711. Had some grief getting fuel to flow. The feed tube system was blocked solid and it is not easy to fettle. The tube base block is solder sealed in place and it has a very small hole buried inside it. I could not measure the hole but at a guess around 0.010". Much soaking in a boiling strong cleaner and then application of heat and quench enabled a dismantle and then shoving various wires down the bits cleared it. It does not work quite right. With fuel and air it burns nice and bright but dulls down when the valve is full open and it is working on fuel only. Neat little beast though and pretty rare I think because I can't recall seeing another. ::Neil::

1299687842-Turner_711_01.jpg

1299687859-Turner_711_02.jpg 1299687874-Turner_711_03.jpg 1299687891-Turner_711_04.jpg 1299687914-Turner_711_05.jpg 1299687932-Turner_711_06.jpg 1299687950-Turner_711_07.jpg 1299687970-Turner_711_08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

Hi Neil,
    Your description "cutie pie" fits the bill. From the valve image this has a resemblance to a Preway. The metering orifice in that hex piece connected to the fuel pick up shares the Preway characteristic. Turner made some classy pieces.

Bob

3. Mackburner

Thee had to be some tie in with Turner and Preway. Brooklure lamps have features from both makes and in fact it is hard to decide who made what. It is for sure Brooklure did not make them but Turner or Preway could have. I must dig them out and give them an airing. Later though as I am in Turner mode right now.

Yes Turner made some very kool looking lanterns. Not all that practical though because they tend toward the heavy clunker design. Probably good when new but they can be a bitch to dismantle and fettle. I have just struggled for an hour to get the valve out of another one because the feed tubes are blocked. Much blue air, penetrating oil and heat before I could remove enough bits to get the valve free to slot into a vice to turn the tank off it. Be posted here if I can make it run. ::Neil::

4. Glenn

Neil- I really like the color combination on this little "Cutie Pie" 711 (as well as the 1511) What a distinctive look to this lantern. Very Masculine!! If they made more than 1....I'd like to own the other [-o< I'm out lookin for it now :lol:

Glenn

5. Mackburner

I agree, best colour combination Turner made. Better than all the boring vomit green jobs for sure. Mind you I am about to post yet another. I reckon the marketing guys were colour blind. ::Neil::

6. JRdaSconnie

There was one of these present at our gathering in Madison two weeks ago. Interesting little lantern.