Turner Model 800 Lamp

Discussion in 'Turner' started by Bob M, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

Built by Turner Brass Works in Sycamore, Illinois

If it weren't for Terry Marsh, this would have been DOA. Cracked fuel pickup tube. A L O N G crack. He saved my bacon. It's a nice lamp. The top globe holder is suspect. The shade, NOT original by any stretch. I like the way it looks. I'd like to see an image of a "Turner" shade.

Bob

1294022560-Turner_Brass_Works_Model_800_lamp_opt.jpg
    1294022611-Turner_Brass_Works_Model_800_BURNING__opt.jpg 1294022632-Turner_Brass_Works_Model_800_with_new_shade_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Now that is interesting because I have one of these and that came with the same shade as yours. I always thought it was an electric shade but maybe not and it is a correct one for the model. ::Neil::

3. Aluminum Junkie

Realy like the look of this lamp, how old is it?

4. Mackburner

Mid 1930s I think. Not common. I don't think I know of more than half a dozen with collectors. ::Neil::

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Neil, we have some paper on Turner products.

Will you be posting it? LJJ.

6. Mackburner

I might. Depends how I feel. Posting catalogues is a pain because of all the image resizing and such. ::Neil::

7. Aluminum Junkie

Thanks for the rely on the age. The shade threw me a bit, not to mention the fantastic fettle. It all looks so perfect! Did a googy on Turner, and found that they also made blow lamps, like I need something more to collect :roll:

8. Mackburner

Made blow lamps??? Yes indeed in fact that is what they are best known for. Very big manufacturer of torches and such with a huge variety of types made over many years. ::Neil::

9. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

BLOWTORCHES? You struck a cord there. Being from Rochester the "home" of the Otto Bernz Co which later became Bernzomatic I have 3 "Ottos", a Preway(Prentiss-Wabers), and a Coleman built in Canada by Butler Mfg. Do they qualify as a "heater"? ;) They are a "Pressure Gas Appliance".

Bob

10. Mackburner

Absolutely not. There are lots of sad misguided people out here who collect blow torches and whilst they may be fine folks and as eccentric as we are, we do not want the site getting swamped with torches please. We know they are out there but try very hard to ignore them. I will allow you a brief mention of Otto because at least they had the wit to stick their logo on a pressure lamp. ::Neil::

11. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

Just kidding Neil. NO torches. Did Bernz make a gasoline lamp? "Profane" for sure.

Bob

12. Mackburner

Ah thought that would grab you. No not a profanity. There is a Knight Light gasoline lamp with an Otto Bernz label. I think they took a lamp without an integral pump and fitted a Blow torch pump to it and stuck their label on it. Not my lamp and whilst I have images they are not mine to post. ::Neil::

13. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

BTW Neil,
    In the advertising section Jeff posted a Turner Brass Works flyer for the lanterns,this(No.800) and the kerosene version(No.850). It has a parchment shade image. So much for the metal shade. LOL!

Bob

14. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

I rather like this table lamp, it has style!

15. Mackburner

Yes I have a copy of that catalogue and I was aware of the parchment shade. What struck me as odd was the fact that a second metal shade has turned up also on this lamp. Coincidence? Well maybe and not significant but makes the probability of it being made for the lamp slightly higher. Not enough for me to consider it a certanty but for sure a definite maybe. ::Neil::

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  16. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

I think it might just be a case of "That shade looks rather nice on that lamp!" N'est pas? An "eye of the beholder" type of thing.

Bob

17. Mackburner

Could be. I don't know but I might start believing when I see a few more. ::Neil::

18. Mackburner

Bob. Just realised you titled for this post Turner 400. I don't know of a Turner model 400 so where did that come from and do you know something I don't or is it just a typo? ::Neil::

19. Bob M

Bob M R.I.P.

Good eye there mister! A case failure to proof read. Can the powers that be edit this for me?

Bob

20. Mackburner

Bob. It's your post so you need to click on the "ReportPost" button and ask for it to be changed. The reason I looked is because I am not convinced this lamp is actually a model 800 or 850. I have two catalogues that show model 800 and the tank is different to this and to mine which I will be posting shortly. Model 800 as catalogued has a rounded top tank like the lanterns X159 for instance. These table lamps have a flat top tank like the Brooklure lanterns so I suspect may be a different model or indeed may not be Turner at all but Sears lamps made by Turner. ::Neil::