Tying Mantles - A Job I Detest.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Matty, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Matty

G'day all,

The thing I detest most about lamp collecting is tying mantles on - especially lanterns.

I, with my big clumsy hands, find it very difficult to navigate between cage supports and generators to tie mantles onto the nozzle/s. Recently, I was so frustrated that I couldn't tie the mantles onto a Thomas Kerosafe nozzles, I removed the nozzles and tied the mantles on then screwed the nozzles back in. It worked like a dream.

I suppose it goes to show how low my IQ is considering it took me almost 5 years of lamp collecting before I figured out an easier way.

I screwed the nozzles nearly all the way home then checked and made sure the mantles were clear of the gap between nozzle and burner and simply tightened them up.

20200705_153736.jpg

2. MYN

On lanterns with removable inner hoods and burner assemblies, such as the Petromax, I would do it externally as well. Only the inner hood-burner assembly is taken out for mantle-tying.
    Some mantles are harder to tie than others.
    If you have a member in the house who's skilfull with threads and needle work, these tasks should be 'a piece of cake'.

3. Pancholoco1911 United States

I have no problems tying mantles, I do like to do it and I’ll do it all day long if you supply mantles lol

4. Matty

That is the pool I normally recruit help from. They aren't always around at the right time.

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I don't mind tying on tie-on mantles - it's the pre-tied ones that vex me from time-to-time... [-X =;

I must get back to my Thomas Kerosafe one of these days. It was one of the first lanterns I ever got and I've still not got round to fettling it. Like a lot of newbies, I had plans for an extensive refurbishment including re-chroming etcetera, etcetera...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  6. Matty

Yes, all the grandiose ideas, I remember them well.

I am determined to do some home nickelling / re-nickelling. I have been foiled twice now through being sold impure nickel. I have contacted probably a dozen 'pure' nickel sellers from ebay or elsewhere and asked for a guarantee that their product is pure or at least the 99.9% they claim and none have come to the party.

The fount on your Thomas will be the headache, if there is to be one. My tank had 7 stress cracks. I went to the trouble of furrowing the cracks, filling them with solder and sanding. I did a pressure test and the base of the tank fell apart. It was only being held together by some paint. I kind of just looked at the base and thought, "Extraordinary". I was so surprised and perplexed at what had just happened, that is all I could think of.

7. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Colin has a trick for tying mantles. Use the thin bits of with from those flat food bag ties.

8. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I do, but mostly for converting single tie mantles for use on Tilleys and Bialaddins et al.

9. MYN

In some mantles, the strings are so fragile that you could hardly tie a knot without them breaking off with a decent pull.
    There's a way around these. Just wrap a malleable piece of copper wire over it around the burner. It'll work just as well since the attached end of the mantle would shrink in on the burner after the pre-burn.

10. Matty

I have mantles like that. If you looked at them the string broke. Trying to get mantles on is problematic for me, to get them on and have the string break almost sent me berserk a couple of times. I now only ever use those mantles to test hollow wire lamps and I generally wrap wire around them to hold them to the nozzle. Hollow wire lamps are normally reasonably easy enough to get a mantle on.

The Coleman Silk Lites are high quality NOS mantles. I don't have an explanation as to why I put them on before I had tested the lamp. It is probably another sign of my fading memory.

11. MikeO

MikeO Subscriber

I use a method taught to me by a hooker (a rug hooker, but she loved introducing herself that way), where you do the usual start to the knot like you're tying your shoes, but you make one more under pass than usual, then tighten. It will stay tight which lets you reposition your fingers for the finishing tie off of the ends. Lets me manoeuvre my fingers in between the burners and tubes and supports and bails much easier and not worry about holding the ends tight.

Mike.

12. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks Mike, that sounds like a good tip?... I will have to give that a try :thumbup:...if i can remember, that is...:doh:

13. george

george United States Subscriber

Hell, I can sympathize with you! Try hanging one of these on with arthritis! I wonder what has more knots in it, the mantle(s) or my fingers!!
    :-({|=:-s

14. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

That's exactly what I ended up doing and it blooming works too!

15. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I was taught this method of keeping the first part of the knot tight when I was a boy, it's served me well for a lot of years now.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  16. Pancholoco1911 United States

that’s how I do.

17. george

I have the most trouble tying the damn Tilley mantles. I'm always afraid of breaking the string! The Coleman mantles are easier to tie, if only they expanded in shape and looked as good as theTilley.
    Oh well, not a perfect world! :cry:
    :thumbup:

18. george

Sorry, not tying the string on the tilley but "slipping" it on!:rage:
    Dah!...

19. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Hi Guys , I posted this article about mantles etc and Jeremy ( X246A ) came up with some great ideas / solutions that he suggested, one of which I have recently used to pull out the flimsy crappy mantle cord
    and re thread it using small gauge fine wire with a needle ... works a treat and of course much stronger.
    I use small wire but fuse wire is most suitable. have a look ...

Something to make you smile from China

:thumbup: