1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unidentifiable Tilley Table Lamp

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Vintage Wonders, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Vintage Wonders

FAF647CB-F82E-4C8E-963C-466D118F95D2.jpeg This is my first post and would be really great if anyone could give me any information on this Tilley Table Lamp. I have searched google but can’t find another one like it.

2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Vintage, and welcome on board!
    You won't find another table lamp like yours, simply because it isn't a table lamp!
    It started life as an outdoor lantern and at some point (probably when the old top (burner) was worn out) someone fitted another top and turned it into some sort of indoor lamp.
    People who know an awful lot more about Tilley's than I do will be able to give you precise info on yours, I can however tell you the fount is pre-WW2.

Best regards,

Wim

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Founder Member

Unsurprising, as it's a completely unique bodge creation. ;) :lol:

Looks like it's been a PL53 or similar, though why the lower handle halves have been folded back like that is anyone's guess. I suppose it made sense to someone at the time. As Wim says, the original top parts have been replaced by a table lamp gallery although it's upside-down with respect to the burner - the springs and pins (which hold the globe should be at the bottom :doh: ](*,) )

You'll be able to do something with it - it just depends on what you have in mind...

4. Derek

Have a look through the reference pages to see what it should look like if a PL53 etc.

PL52-PL53-PL54

5. Mackburner

Mackburner Founder Member Subscriber

The tank is a WW2 period PL52. 30s tanks have the handles screwed directly into the tank and have the earlier control cock. The top part is a table lamp gallery with the burner upside down. It will fettle to function though. Just turn the burner over, fit a 182 globe and maybe remove the handle bits and you are good to go. ::Neil::

6. Vintage Wonders

Thank you so much for giving me the time and the great information. Now I know why I couldn’t find a similar one - it is a crossbreed!

7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:
    It would be useful for spare parts, but it probably could be made to function.

8. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Welcome to this forum ?
    Looking at your name: are you a seller and looking for selling information ?

9. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

@WimVe spot on, it’s been on eBay for a while under the same name.