Unimet 3, fatal surgery

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by hikerduane, Jul 3, 2021.

1. hikerduane

Had a slight leak from the check valve, so decided to see what makes this tic. No luck with wide screw driver, plus by the time I found a large screw driver, the slot on the check valve(I saw it was a NRV after removing) wasn't in good enough shape to hold a screwdriver head, even with being wedged in a clamp. Funny, after the pump tube removal then the end, with two Vise Grips(expecting a battle) the NRV came loose with little effort. With the snorkel in the pump tube, impossible to remove from the fount without other measures.
    Duane
    20210703_105340_opt.jpg
    20210703_105355_opt.jpg

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Ouch! Any chance of finding a replacement fount? The design appears to be very similar to AGM.

3. hikerduane

I may look or see if a friend can use them, other than the slight leak, even with the pump shaft screwed in leak a little, but ran well. This was my first blue lantern , but have since gotten a Coleman 243 and two 243A's.
    Duane

4. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

There are also the light blue Sears lanterns to look out for. Black vents, though.

5. hikerduane

Forgot the Sears, I'll check now on, they fetch a good price.
    Duane

6. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

I saw a Coleman film clip years ago showing font manufacture with pump tube fitted the font with a copper ring + flux run through an oven which gave a copper welded joint.

7. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

@hikerduane
    Er! I can relate to your situation, Duane and only for the first time in decades and after a lot of effort. It's painful but once in a blue moon is not too bad.

Good luck with your blue quest.

Iain

8. hikerduane

I've only been collecting stoves for 10 years and started lanterns 8 years ago, then lamps last summer. I like all my stuff working, the Unimet was a little frustrating, been at it a couple years. Not a big loss as my Coleman lanterns are much cooler.
    Duane

9. James

James Subscriber

Too late now, but you could have saved the lantern by fitting a schrader valve, either in the fuel cap or in a new hole, then filled the leaky pump tube with epoxy.

10. Pancholoco1911 United States

There’s is also another blue lantern and it’s the JC Higgins

11. Toby Garner

Toby Garner United States Subscriber

12. hikerduane

I even had a Schraeder fuel cap which I did use to add pressure so I could remove the pump and squirt alcohol in the tube to check exactly where the leak was, although I know the air stem is supposed to close off the NRV. Yep, too late, never gave it a thought. Doh!
    Duane

13. Rustytank United States

You ever heard of an ez-out?

14. hikerduane

I've never had any luck with a EZ-out, they just chew parts up, plus reaching down far enough with some extension is impossible with the tools I have. More tools cost more than a Chinese lantern is worth. I have my Coleman 243 models now to cover lanterns in blue. I just move on.
    Duane

15. Rustytank United States

That would make a nice Frankie on another fount.

16. hikerduane

@Rustytank, unfortunately I have nothing the parts will go in/on. I've asked a stove friend if he needed parts, no response yet, he must be hating. All my lanterns and lamps are in working order.
    The schraeder valve cap would have been a good idea if I had thought of it, the EZ-out would have destroyed the NRV which was irreplaceable.
    Duane

17. Rustytank United States

@hikerduane I've got several parts lanterns and a couple of founts that aren't particularly rare. What would you take plus shipping for the parts if your friend doesn't want them?

18. hikerduane

@Rustytank, genny and other parts are good, decent vent with chipping at the hole on top, be nice to just pass along. $10 +. PM a mailing address and can maybe send out next few days. PP addy is my email.
    Duane

19. Rustytank United States

Pm sent