Using Alcohol for Indoor Use

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Vince, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Vince

Vince United States Subscriber

Hello all,

After the recent power crisis in Texas, I was curious to know if anyone has knowledge of the potential for a Coleman lantern to run safely and effectively on an alcohol based fuel (e.g., denatured alcohol, 90% ethanol, E85 fuel, etc.). The point of the question is to explore the ability to run a lantern indoors without the odor and fumes of white gas or kerosene during an extended power outage.

I am sure this must have already been answered in the past, but alas I could not find it after searching through the forums for “alcohol”. I would appreciate any comments or links to past forum topics related to this question.

thank you!

2. John

John United States Subscriber

Lamp oil, it’s basically purified kerosene that is safer to burn indoors. However, you must always err on the side of caution on this one, a pressure lamp is much different than a wick lamp.

A power outage where you need light is different than if you need heat. Too much of anything is dangerous.

If your lantern will readily burn with lamp oil then you might want to stock up on a replacement generator just in case.

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day Vince, yes it is possible to get a lantern to run on alcohol.
    I can't think of a Coleman offhand but it is generally a case of increasing the fuel or restricting the air.
    Many lanterns were converted during the war years

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

5. Vince

Thanks ROBBO55!

It sounds like, as was mentioned above, using alcohol is mostly about increasing fuel or decreasing air to maximize heat/flame.

I have an old 220 that I think I will first try limiting air and then using a pin needle to increase the jet size.

I think it will be an interesting experiment to try out. I’ll report back what I find

6. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

It's absolutely a nice experiment, and it shouldn't be too hard to succeed.
    But I must say I'm surprised that you think the white gas smell.
    I practically only use gasoline lamps indoors just because they don't smell!
    A tiny scent may be observed, but not at all in a disturbing way.
    And that is confirmed by the fact that the girl friend doesn't complain.
    That's the ultimate litmus test...

Of course alcohol is even better in that aspect, but be aware that the fuel consumption will be very high. Alcohol lamps burn out a tank very quick, and that is a big disadvantage for real users.

7. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

To get the same light out of the lamp, you will need to increase the size of the jet. As an example, 300cp jets go from 0.2mm for kerosene to 0.3mm for alcohol. The air intake will also have to be reduced. Maybe just blocking one side will be enough, but I don't know.

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

That’s 0.031 square miilimetre orifice area to 0.071sq.mm. so more than twice the opportunity to gulp fuel.

9. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Hi Vince

Good luck with your experiment.

Here in Oz we can buy odourless kerosene though it costs a premium. Do they sell that in USA and maybe that would work as far as the smell, in a kerosene Coleman?

If it's 90% ethanol, would not the remainder be additives to denature it? I realise there are many levels of methylated spirits in the USA and some seem to be fairly low percentages of alcohol. I guess you will have to factor that into your testing too.

Good luck.

Iain

10. Pancholoco1911

Pancholoco1911 United States Subscriber

Get the HC FireFly and get the alcohol conversion from them too. Alcohols runs a bit dimmer but will be safer to run inside.

11. Vince

Hey Carlsson, I agree with you! I think that when the lamps run properly there is only a faint odor at most. But it's funny you mention the "girlfriend" because in my case it is my wife who *insists* there is a smell! Most of my lamp work is done out in my shop, but with the winter storm Uri (Texas) and all, we were stranded without electricity for days in temps around 5-10F so that was a perfect time to bring out the lanterns inside for light, if not for warmth too. So, after all that I was thinking of ways to I could run the lamps in the future with zero chance of there being any odor, and alcohol fuel seemed like the best bet.

12. Vince

Hey Iain,
    To your point, I do think a premium odorless version of kero is sold here, I think it goes by the term "K1" grade kero; I've used it in my Picostar regularly and I think it is about as odorless as you can get

As for the grades of alcohol that can be purchased, I know it is possible to get 99.5% isopropanol commercially, and thats the highest percentage I have found. At work we use 200 proof ethanol (~100%) but as soon as the bottle is opened for any appreciable length of time, a portion of the ethanol evaporates leaving water behind resulting in a true/working concentration of ~95%. The other 5% should only be water, and for the denatured products, it ends up being 1-2% isopropanol/methanol/some other type of alcohol.

As Carlsson said, that water is the enemy of my fuel tanks, and would surely permit oxidation if left for long periods of time.

13. Vince

Thanks Pancholoco1911, I will definitely look into it

14. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

@Pancholoco1911
    Where to get the HC firefly and alcohol conversion?
    Can you pm me the contact please.

15. James

James Subscriber

If I had to deal with power cuts I think I would go for low voltage LED lamps run off a battery and a kerosene wick heater for warmth.

16. Pancholoco1911

Pancholoco1911 United States Subscriber

17. 74Harley United States

Hey Vince, I wish you luck with your experiment. But I must ask if you have really done a deep clean on the air tube? Even a couple of small spider webs will reduce airflow and cause a smell. Most 220s I have run are virtually odorless when clean. White gas has less of an odor then K1 in my experience.