Using Parcelforce to send a lantern to Switzerland

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by MG, Jul 21, 2019.

1. MG

MG United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi all,

Is it safe to send a lantern to Switzerland via Parcelforce, i've used them to send to Germany and the Netherlands if i remember correctly but i've got it into my head there might be an issue now for some reason, or can anyone suggest another carrier?

Thanks.

2. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Simple answer is no, and mostly because of problems at the British end. Specifically, if you are honest about what your parcel contains it will be rejected by the royal Mail staff at the Post Office. This is because items that have ever contained a flammable fuels at any time in their history are prohibited. This includes complete lanterns and stoves plus tanks or founts.

I and others have send objects via Royal Mail, Parcelforce or one of the courier companies by being creative with the description of the contents and not admitting to the presence of fuel. That said, a couple of months back I was sent a lantern that soaked the packaging in old kero and it still made it through - this was via Hermes - which is pretty miraculous but success relies on your package not arousing suspicions and also calling the contents 'vintage camping equipment' or something similar.

Basically, lamps and stoves have made it to their intended destination when sent via RM or one of the courier services but there's a risk that it won't if you're unlucky. Best case if it is rejected in transit, is that it'll be returned to the sender, at worst the item could be crushed and disposed of. Consequently I wouldn't send anything rare or extremely valuable.

Hope this helps.

3. MG

Too late Colin, its gone now, listed as a brass and steel lantern, i used to use Parcelforce quite a bit with no issues, i only changed because they got too dear and i had to buy a printer, hopefully it does arrive ok or i'll be a fair few quid out of pocket, i have also had some "dripping" lanterns come through the post via Parcelforce and the driver has commented how bad the package smelt! :lol:

4. ColinG

Yup, it's incredible what people will send through the post without thinking! I try to mention about draining the tank and wrapping it in plastic bags just in case but you can't always get the messages through in time. Thankfully I've han no returns or worse yet - fingers crossed!

5. MG

Yes, you try to give ideas on wrapping as politely as possible but lots of sellers just don't value the items like we do, i suggested a few ways on how to package a nos Veritas 350 last year and it arrived in a loosely taped up cardboard shoe box, no protection whatsoever but it did arrive unscathed.

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I have used UPS several times for lamps. They seem to apply a little common sense and you can talk to them at their local depot and I found they will accept a statement that you have flushed and cleaned the tank and there is no fuel present. Maybe not the cheapest but they are reliable. ::Neil::

7. ColinG

Thanks Mackburner - that's valuable info!

8. MG

Thanks Neil, i will give them a try next time.

9. paul m

paul m Subscriber

Just register with parcel2go.com and you'll get prices of all the carriers to the destination you state

10. MG

Does registering make a difference, this one was sent through parcel2go using Parcelforce who were the cheapest, the next was global something or other and the rest were quite a bit dearer.

11. MG

Well its arrived in Zurich so another 90 odd miles and it should hopefully reach its destination.

12. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

:-k Um, has it arrived yet...

13. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

MG,
    You do not make clear what kind of shipment you are referring to.

Recently I tried to get some lamps of interest from the UK, and was quoted some absurd and totally unacceptable amounts.
    Possibly to p... me off, and I am well aware of the remarkable high rate of cold feet in Albion when shipping to Holland is suggested.

But just as likely people get scared and oblige Paypal's and Ebay's aim to optimize turnover (Ebay now takes a cut of 10% on shipping too: a goldmine) by insisting on super-duper double insured-guaranteed shipping.

After 40 years of sending and receiving goods worldwide (yes, that is before internet or even fax) privately, I do not want to pay one penny extra for someone else's comfort of mind.
    One complete Bialaddin from Devon arrived last month brilliantly for the princely sum of ten pounds (£10.00 with Hermes), a repetition of a similar transaction with the same seller a year or so earlier.

I am sorry, this turned into some rant, highjacking the thread, but the question is on which service or way of shipment are you referring to as "the cheapest" ? Mike

14. MG

Ah sorry gents i forgot to update!

Yes it arrived safely and the seller was very happy which is always nice to know,

I have also recently sent to Japan and Thailand so hopefully they will also arrive safely,

@M.Meijer

I was more concerned whether it would arrive safely as i'd heard horror stories regarding Parcelforce destroying lanterns but they were by far the cheapest on the day, mainly because i over pack items which end up being larger and heavier, especially after some of the "well packed" lanterns that i've received and since i had a problem with Hermes just before Christmas i always insure up to the items value to be on the safe side now, it may not win me brownie points with some buyers but there are plenty of other sellers out there to choose from if i am not that competitive,

Agreed, it is an absolute joke that ebay take 10% of any postage costs too, the £1 only final value selling fees offer seems to be offered quite a bit more these days possibly due to sellers using other sites because of ebay's charges?

15. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Thanks for getting back on that.
    I take it then Parcelforce was the cheapest in the 'super-duper' department.
    Regardless, RM imo has become a courier to avoid like the plague.

As for shipping, I never sent anything insured willingly in my life. Not even motorcycles from Canada. The reason is, that any claim made is like wading through molasses, it eats up time, not good for your mental state and you are never fully covered anyway despite the considerable premium to pay
    I'd pay the damage and move on.

But I do not consider 10 percent theft a joke. Never liked the 3% cut by Paypal either, but I (have to) use Paypal and Ebay for just one reason: to get the best price in the world on a given moment.

However, if there would be a good alternative to Ebay, I'd switch yesterday.

Mike

16. MG

Yes Parcelforce was the cheapest on the day, funny if you go through Parcel2go (which i think Parcelforce own) is much cheaper than going directly through Parcelforce.

I normally use Hermes within the UK if under 15 kilos, mainly as their drop off shop is around a minutes walk from home but Parcel2go have also recently started to use this shop for some of their couriers too which is helpful for International carriage,

I know what you are saying regarding making a claim but at most, cover is usually under £4, obviously none cover glass either, luckily i have not had to make a claim....yet,

I don't mind the extra charges through paypal, which i normally cover myself when buying as i have had three or four sellers not send items and if i had paid via friends and family i would have lost the money, i hardly ever pay by bank transfer now unless i think sellers are honest or i really want the item after being ripped off a few times,

I haven't bought anything lamp related from abroad but ebay seems to be the place to go if you need too.