Vapalux 300x rebuild

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by simon ryan, Apr 7, 2013.

1. simon ryan

from previous section on forum under the heading tilley and vapalux tank dents and repairs ' it shows in picture a tank jig, which offers the ability to work on and carry out many tasks including hard levering out minor and major dings ..dents'' with freedom of use of both hands also shown is a levering tool . And the candidate strapped in the jig was a very sad damaged vapalux 300x tank purchased on eBay
    It shows a badly damaged tank around pump housing on second photo.

1365294648-uihyuiojoi.jpg

This picture shows a close up of the actual damage sustained to the pump area of the tank ouch''''

*edit: removed code at this position for an image that wasn't uploaded.

This was tank being repaired earlier had to remove pump tube to allow access for pulling out surrounding dent and distortion which ment it had to de-soldered and later re-soldered

1365295832-cvxcxzc_opt.jpg

Tank repaired and shaped" now all items are ready to be polished .

1365296050-htre_opt.jpg

Items are now polished and ready to refit.

1365296297-4re_opt.jpg

Here it is one vapalux 300x ready for service' please note the burner buttons have been change over as these were only used for picture Also shedman' has sent me a new brass hood a ( E41. Style job done thanks for looking.

1365298920-result.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Claus C

Excellent fettling Starlight!
    Wish you where a neighbor :D/

Claus C

3. Shed-Man R.I.P.

What a superb fettle! You would not think that it would be possible to do that!. The hood cap looks good too; that is the "HD44" Style cap that I sent you not the "E41" Style. Very well done :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That is a superb piece of work!

5. simon ryan

Thank you Claus c I'm in north London finchley'
    just in case your nearby pop in for a brew and a chat =P~

6. simon ryan

Yes sorry shed man '''Steve I missed the chance to re-edit my errors ' as in the picture is the original hood that I straightened out and spray painted only to bring the lamps full beauty out for this photo. Your hood the ( E41 style was refitted later as it was not drilled out yet. Sorry mate will upload a picture of lamp wearing your fantastic hood. :thumbup:

7. Claus C

Hi Starlight
    Thanks for the invitation, I will keep that in mind :lol:
    I just recieved a Vapalux 300X today at 1130 bought cheap and judged only by 1 picture. At first sight it looked nice:

1365593872-varplux_110_opt.jpg
    and
    1365593914-varplux_111_opt.jpg

but then I noticed 3 big ones of this:

1365593976-varplux_118_opt.jpg

I didnt know Vapalux had these problem with stress-cracks in the fount - so I think after a repaint this is going to be my first shelf-queen.

Did you take a close look at your fount ?

Claus C

8. simon ryan

Yes I checked it all over as buying a 300x with such a great feature change I then became Sherlock Holmes looking for dings dents scuffs ' deep scratches you name it. And could not see any hairline cracks as the one displayed above ' still you have a nice looking lamp there I would love to have. Just need a doner tank. Great pictures mate ' I'm jealous I want it ;)

9. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Claus, I wouldn't spend time on that tank at all. Put an ad in the wanted section here and I'm certain that someone will find you a perfect tank that you'll be able to use. I would say get one off Ebay but you risk that being the same as yours. These are pretty common tanks to find so I don't think you'll have any problems getting one and then your lamp will be usable. :thumbup:

10. Claus C

Hi Matthew92
    Yeah I guess that will be the way, but its not just the tank, I also miss the glass and the vapourizer is rubbish + the pumpleather is eaten by a pump-animal. But the most important things is OK and one fine day I will replace just this. I dont know how common this lamp is for sure but I think its on the edge of what it is worth. :roll:
    Looking at Starlights lamp just gave me a bit more blood on the tooth. 8) I guess I contact Basecamp for glass and vapo.

Claus C

11. Claus C

Hi Matthew
    Hah, I finally found another 300X and bought it from a poor photo. I had luck - the whole lamp looks nice included the tank BUT the black enamel top is slightly different than the other.
    My first 300X is totally flat on top, but the other similar 300X has a little bulg on top.
    Why is that :?:
    Now I probably need 1 more tank and 2 glasses to complete the variation. One step forward and two steps back :doh:

Claus C

12. Claus C

I have these two Vapalux 300X, made in England. They are marooned coloured and with black enameled top-caps.
    Why are the top-caps different and is there any timeline in this difference?

1388872225-082_opt.jpg

Claus C

Attached Files:

13. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

An old question that still needs an answer, if only for those reading this old thread today, so here goes:
    Ian Ashton, in his wonderfull book on Vapa's and Biala's, does only assume the top with a slight dome in the center was the early version of the simple top that replaced the E-41 style.
    This does make sense, because without a dome, hence flat, it was easier to produce, something that was a considerable factor with military orders practically taking anything that could be produced.

So that dome disappeared in the war years, but returned after the war as some photo's of the initial postwar models suggest. It is therefore not a detail that could be linked to a specific model or time, also because these tops could easily be interchanged.
    Both are original features that have been used on the Vapalux model 300 and perhaps the initial 300X, that usually shows a bulge again in their tops.