Vapalux 300X Seized NRV In Situ

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MG, Dec 3, 2018.

1. MG

MG Subscriber

Hi all,

Its the first NRV i've not been able to remove from the pump tube, it is stuck solid and i used the biggest screwdriver i have with all the force i can muster and it won't budge, i've had it soaking in brake cleaner although i doubt that will do anything, what else can i try, i don't fancy using heat in case i melt any solder, i might sacrifice one of my wood spade drill bits and turn it into a flat head screwdriver bit and try it in my impact driver?

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @MG

Try some penetrating oil, or 50:50 acetone and automatic brake fluid. Let it soak for a few days.

I wouldn't use an impact driver. All kinds of stresses might go wrong.

Tony

3. MG

MG Subscriber

@Tony Press

I've only got panel wipe, brake cleaner, wd40 or gt85 which is meant to have penetrating properties, any of those any good? i'll have to get some acetone.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @MG

Try the GT85.

Cheers

Tony

5. MG

MG Subscriber

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@MG
    Whilst the NRV is soaking in the penetrating oil fill the fount with boiling water. The expansion of the parts might help. You can also try removing the NRV whilst the parts are hot.
    Good luck

7. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham Subscriber

Hold a large screwdriver in the vice (assuming you have one) and the tank in your hands.

8. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

The technique above helped me no end! I had an old screwdriver I didn't mind sacrificing so I turned it down until it fitted inside the pump tube which kept the business end perpendicular with the slot. Holding the end in my vice and sliding the tank down on top worked wonders.

On another Bialaddin I had to leave the NRV soaking in acetone over night to get it freed up, but if it's this reluctant to work, it's best to take it out and either refurbish it or buy a new one!

9. ColinG

This is my home-made Bialaddin/Vapalux NRV driver!

IMG_3911.JPG

You can see the end that I 'turned down', but without a lathe I put the metal shaft in the jaws of my pillar drill and used a file to reduce it's diameter. It was crude as hell but it worked.

IMG_3909.JPG

Here it is fully inserted and engaged with the NRV slot, but it's best not to attempt turning the screwdriver...

IMG_3912.JPG

With the NRV-driver held in the vice, turning the tank/fount usually makes the job a LOT easier.

IMG_3908.JPG

10. MG

MG Subscriber

@ROBBO55

Thanks Martin, i tried with boiling water three times but had no joy,

@Ian Bingham

Good plan and i have a large vice but sadly it is as yet not attached to anything, i have managed to use it to straighten out an Efar 608 in the past though,

@ColinG

In the year or so i've been collecting this is the only Vapalux nrv i've struggled with and it still won't budge, it is stuck solid, i don't have any acetone but probably need to get some, i got a bit impatient and damaged the nrv so it might be staying in situ forever more now!

Thanks for all the advice gents, i may revisit the little beggar at some point in the future!

11. ColinG

I reckon you'll be revisiting that NRV sooner than you think! I told myself I was done with my leaky X300 fount but I find myself going back again and again for 'just one more try'!

12. MG

MG Subscriber

Hopefully another fount in good condition with nice paint will come along instead, it doesn't owe me much so not a total loss just a bit of a nuisance.

13. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

14. MG

MG Subscriber

@ROBBO55

Thanks for the link Martin i might give that a go, if all else fails it would be more experience learned, i'm going to buy some acetone and give it a soak for a week or so first to see if that does the trick, i need to invest in some anyway.

15. MYN

Those guys over at CCS would do just about anything to get it done or undone.
    Great deal of knowledge.
    I think its still possible to free up the nrv, @MG. Never ever give in.

Its never completely seized unless:
    1. It was cross-threaded and forcefully screwed in earlier.
    2. Someone used some high strength threadlocker fluid or epoxy in it earlier.
    Ok, get some DOT 3 brake fluid and pour it into the pump tube and allow to sit for a few days. At the same time, fill the fount with some acetone until its over the level of the nrv. Leave out other parts as the acetone would damage any rubber seals. Seal in a polyethylene bag or container. Leave it aside until you could remember it a few days later.
    Next, get the largest square-stem, flat-tipped screwdriver that would snugly fill the slot of the nrv. Remove the fount from the bag/container. Don't bother pouring out any fluids. Leave them in.
    Now carefully center the screwdriver tip to fit squarely into the nrv slot. Then grip the square stem with a wrench. Hold the screwdriver's handle steadily and do not allow the tip lifting or tilting off the nrv slot. Use a light metal rod or another wrench to lightly but sharply tap the wrench that's holding the screwdriver's stem. Quick repetitive tapping cycles while holding firmly the screwdriver's handle with your hand. Ensure the tip is always sitting fully in the slot.
    This is more effective than using brute force to turn the screwdriver.
    Done properly, it'll free up the tightest nrv other than the completely seized ones that I mentioned above.

16. MYN

If you do not have a special purpose-made nrv removal tool, use this:
    15428870844631246572754.jpg

17. MG

MG Subscriber

Thanks Myn,

I've got some acetone on order and will give that a go for a while and if that doesn't budge it i've just found my adjustable spanner.

18. Sellig33

Sellig33 France Subscriber

On my Vapalux 300 I leave the NRV soaking in acetone during a week, and I used a wood chisel as nrv removal tool.

19. george

george Subscriber

Believe me, I have a Primus 1020 that took me months to get the damn NRV out! ! A real pain in the a..! I finally got my son to un-solder the pump barrel and take the whole thing out. He has experience doing this, I don't... it's a Primus 1020 circa 1935. One of my favorites.](*,):rage:
    Believe me, it went in and it's got to come out. Just don't rush it.[-o<

20. MG

MG Subscriber

@Sellig33

Luckily its not an expensive fount to replace if needed but the acetone arrived today (in a plastic 5 litre container with absolutely no other packaging!) so i'll get it soaking asap,

@george

Definitely not as nice a job on something that is rare or valuable! as previously said i've finally got round to buying some acetone so hopefully that will shift it,

Thanks gents.