Vapalux 300X - She rides!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Nevermindthedarkness, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Nevermindthedarkness

Nevermindthedarkness United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi all

Unusually for me I finally got around to finishing a fettle, I've gone non standard with this one but I do like a nato green lantern.... Some minor filling and cleaning required but otherwise it went smooth as a babies bottom, if only every fettle could be like this.

This was also the first time i tried a 2k clear coat, I was a little apprehensive due to the whole chemical warfare nature of the paint but with a new a2p3 mask (not airfed but I'm alive so far), face shield and coveralls it went ok. That stuff is a tad scary but my god is it tough once cured, I'm very impressed and one can just about covered two lamps so its not insanely expensive (but it is still pretty damn expensive).

Many thanks to paul m for letting me have a spare tank and cage at non-ebay / CPS mates rates, I've managed to use up almost all of my spare bits n bobs (except for one cage, which will clearly form the nucleus of a new project in time).

IMG_20211113_162858.jpg IMG_20211113_163106.jpg IMG_20211113_163021.jpg IMG_20211113_163642.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2021
  2. Mr cod

Mr cod Subscriber

I like the colour even if it is non standard, I've got two of these in non standard colours, they are excellent lamps and yours looks very nice.
    Ian

3. Nevermindthedarkness

Any interesting colours on yours Ian, did they work out well? Btw, do you use a reflector with yours and what colour did you go with?

I was considering a Prussian blue or bowlfire cream for my next one since I snapped up a rather nice dark blue/almost purple relector, which I dont think I have seen in the reference gallery so I dont know exactly what it would have been paired with. This whole colour coordination issue isnt something I saw coming but its becoming strangely important to me that the hoods, reflectors and founts dont clash too offensively, my inner fashion maven is apparently coming out!

Also, I realised I forgot the @ in my post above, cheers again @paul m

4. Mr cod

Mr cod Subscriber

As requested my 3 vapalux lanterns all painted with holts car colours from a local DIY store, the brown one has been covered with a clear coat, the blue and brown ones are brass tanks and the grey one is steel which I have posted in the gallery previously
    ,regards Ian 16368982539992897351985737222791.jpg

5. Nevermindthedarkness

Those are some very nice lamps, Ian, that dark blue on the left in particular is a beauty. Its also exactly what I was thinking, colour matching with photos is always tricky but it looks very close to my new reflector, I'll have to look into Holts. Tbh I'm quite jealous, I spent ages on a Pasticote grey 300 which is supposed to be close(ish) to the old Vapalux grey but yours is just nicer all round, the extra green in there looks the business.

6. Mr cod

Mr cod Subscriber

Here's a photo of the paint tins I used , both sprayed over a grey etching primer and only £4.99 a tin.
    Regards Ian

16369029675342177392548105511006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2021
  7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It looks fine.:thumbup:

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Well, there was rumoured to be a standard green lantern and I spent years searching for one. I bought 2-3 via eBay but they all turned out to have been repainted by former owners. I've a vague recollection that Ian Ashton had a genuine one (or maybe it was Neil) - can't remember now... :(

9. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Nice looking lantern, Nevermindthedarkness :thumbup:

10. Alenstein Poland

Even is not original colour, its looks nice...