Vapalux E41 query.

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by adam0141, Feb 19, 2021.

1. adam0141 United Kingdom

On recently clearing an outbuilding I have found a few paraffin pressure lamps. One of them I think is a Vapalux E41. It has a brass tank and top with an enamel cap. The globe holder has patent pending stamped on it.
    I was interested in the age of the lamp and model number.

IMG_20210219_151921.jpg IMG_20210219_151937.jpg IMG_20210219_152005.jpg IMG_20210219_152149.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2021
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Vapalux E41 hood and burner gallery for sure and likely E41 globe cage and collar but the tank is a Bialaddin 300 or 305 type and the pre heater is a Bialaddin type as well. So a hybrid marriage of 1941 to 1950ish parts and as such can't really have a "correct" model number or date. ::Neil::

3. adam0141 United Kingdom

Thanks for that.
    What is the physical difference between an E41 tank and a 300? I have found several different tanks and it would be good to reunite the burner etc with the original tank.

4. James

James Subscriber

The E41 tank has a "squarer" shape and the top part where the cage fits is recessed further down into the tank e.g. see this photo from Ian Ashton:

[​IMG]

5. adam0141 United Kingdom

I have another tank that has squarer sides and a more recessed dip. It has a brass regulator knob with"V" stamped. Seems to have the remnants of grey paint on the brass tank, I think.

Attached Files:

6. steerpike451

steerpike451 United Kingdom Subscriber

If it has the well in the top,that tank is right. Even better the control cock is right! Still need the right filler cap, knurled rather than that cog shaped one.

7. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

@adam0141 great find..:^o......looks very similar to one recently on a very popular internet auction site.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  8. adam0141 United Kingdom

I'm sure I have the right knurled filler cap in my tray of spares. The only thing I might be missing is a vaporisation tube with the correct spirit cup. Anyone know where I might get one?
    I think many years ago, the previous owner of my farmhouse used to service and repair lamps as a job. Over the years whilst clearing outhouses we have found many spares.
    Thanks all for your advice.

9. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Have a look here Vapalux,& Bialaddin Lantern Spares it seems they're temporarily out of stock of vapourisers but there's always eBay.

For the spirit cup, you'll need to cut off the tube underneath the actual cup of item V72. OR cut the tab off V72/L .

10. steerpike451

steerpike451 United Kingdom Subscriber

If you can find one, I believe a Bialaddin 310 cup is a close match to original .
    Plus, I just noticed, you have the appropriate chunky pump top on that tank...jammy!

11. adam0141 United Kingdom

Having found most of the appropriate parts and dusted off the dead spiders, I have decided to try and sell on the popular internet auction site. I have attached some photos for future interest.

Attached Files: