Vapalux fettling

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Rolf F, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Rolf F United Kingdom

A few months ago I posted my (not a collection of) lamps and heater on here. The most tired of these is the Vapalux 300X which has an issue with the cage legs which are broken where they should connect to the brass blocks which in turn connect to the carrying handle.

Before doing anything about that I needed to get the nuts that retain the handle off as both were seized on; the good advice was quenching in gearbox oil (I think the auto stuff was recommended but I only had manual but that worked fine).

So, the little brass blocks are free but the thread on one is knackered (not the nut as both go on to the other block quite happily). You can see in the pic how it isn't screwed in fully.

I have two options I think - one is a replacement block which I am hoping someone has one of knocking around in the spares drawer which they might like to come to an arrangement over! The other is the more constructive one of re-cutting the thread. But I don't have any dies and I don't know which one to use. I could buy one but I'm not convinced I'd need it again and so that is hardly the eco friendly solution over just sourcing another block.

A third option would be to cut the bolt short as it does go in some of the way (far enough of the way functionally) but that seems wrong.

So, anyone able to help? I'm in Leeds if it is of any use. Thanks in anticipation. :)

DSCF8970ed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2019
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Perhaps you could solder the block to the rod.

3. Rolf F United Kingdom

I have the silver solder for that though maybe not the competence! But it's getting that nut in properly that is the first priority - you can see in the pic how far out it sticks; all sloppy and ugly!

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Rolf, yes, it's all a learning curve and I noticed that you reside in Leeds, there are several of your fellow Yorkshire men who are members of this forum.

5. Rolf F United Kingdom

You'd like to think so Jeff - what with Vapalux being very local and all that! Hopefully someone has the brass block spare and then I can psych myself up to the silver soldering which ought to be common sense! At least where it is it will self patinate itself pretty quickly.