Vapalux M1

Discussion in 'M1' started by Tim Read, Jan 21, 2023 at 9:44 PM.

1. Tim Read

Tim Read United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Everyone,
    A friend of mine gave this to me as a Christmas present for helping him with a problem, fitted new leather pump washer, the washer at the top of the pump and a mantle and it fired up first time, however even after checking it held pressure, it started leaking from the base of the vapouriser and the pricker valve.
    After turning it off and letting it cool down, replaced both seals, the originals were hard, and it fired up once again quite nicely. I very good condition, hardly used, looks like it's only been fired up once or twice, judging by the state of the pre-heater
    I let it run for an hour, had no problems so well pleased.
    This adds to the Coleman 220J, 228J and Tilley X246B I already have.
    Hope you like it.
    Tim VapaluxM1_undated_5.JPG VapaluxM1_undated_7.JPG VapaluxM1_undated_14.JPG VapaluxM1_undated_18.JPG

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A well built reliable lantern.:thumbup:

3. Tim Read

Tim Read United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks Jeff.
    It's my first experience of a Vapalux so was interested to see the difference as compared to a Tilley, and not disappointed, and as you say, very well built, and even though only been run for an hour, worked very well. Hope to get some more running another time.
    I do have one question though, is there any way of dating the civilian M1's, apart from using the starting and end dates? Were there any minor changes during the years of production which could be used to more precisely date them. I realise this may be a bit of a newbie question, however there's nothing in Ian Ashton's most excellent book, to indicate if this was the case. I'm just curious, really, if there was any reason why it wasn't done.
    Tim

4. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

What a nice thing to do..
    it’s a cracking lantern :thumbup:

5. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

It's in very good condition and a great addition to the line-up :thumbup: