Vapalux M1B

Discussion in 'M1B' started by stormie4me, Jul 26, 2013.

1. stormie4me

the thing is i really dont know much about this lantern but its neat the tank did have some crap in the tank but its being soaked ;after some cleaning of the check valve well as most call it the NRV it did pump up and the cup leather was like new with a little oil added as it was dried out the pricker yes the small wire that comes thru the tip wasnt there but really no biggy for now;it did spray fluid thur the tip the bottom has a stamped that shows 977-c47 so i figure its the model number plus the year ;if im wrong as far the numbers i stand corrected if anyone else might know about these lanterns plus i was told it was a military lantern back than so again any help sure would be appreciated '

1374802521-result.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

At first glance I thought that this was a Bialaddin 305 which had been fitted with a fairly modern hood, but the style of the pump is later too.

It may well be an ex Army lantern and that would explain the mixture of parts, that was often done in the Army stores to make working lanterns.

It's a good find and it will restore well enough, but you will need a cleaning wire for the vapouriser.

Ian will have more precise information.

3. stormie4me

thanks for the im put on this lantern and yep it will clean up very well ;little at a time ;now to find the globe which would be great ;one question thou as these things are really new to me as i have only collected coleman items and akrons the wire for the vaporizer im not what you mean ; again thanks ;dean im going to try some brasso on the tank it looks to be a brass tank ;seems someone didnt drain the tank that well as it has green all over the pick up tube plus the bottom of the tank also ;so nows its soaking in some vinegar ;if that doesnt work well back to the denatured alcohol;

4. stormie4me

so would you say its a vapalux or the other you mentioned as they arent any markings on the thing other than some numbers stamped on the bottom;either or its neat cant wait to fire it up but first the tank needs to be cleaned as i hate to plug the vaporizer

5. JEFF JOHNSON

This lantern also resembles the Vapalux M1-b, but Ian will be able to lable it properly.

When you unscrew the vapouriser, is there a wire up the centre of it?

It's also called the pricker wire.

Are there any markings on the knob of the control cock?

6. stormie4me

thanks again and no there are no markings on the knob and yes the pricker wire is there not the straightest thats for sure 'the small pricker wire that is suppose to go thur the top well it doesnt but it happens ;

7. JEFF JOHNSON

Do you mean that the point of the pricker wire is broken?

If so, then you will need another pricker wire.

8. stormie4me

well if its there i sure cant see it and with my other kerosene lanterns i can see and feel the small pricker come thur the top;as the thing has so many small bends its not straight '

9. JEFF JOHNSON

It can be straightened , but the points of pricker wires do break sometimes.

10. stormie4me

i tried to roll it on a block but still not the best i would hate to bust the the as i did a few years back with one that was close to the same they are so tiny and snap easy 'yep the little part do come off as so small ;just that once it get the thing fired up i will have to check the vaporizer more often as they do get plugged ;thanks again any ideas how i can get this one a little straighter ;

11. JEFF JOHNSON

I use my fingers to straighten pricker wires, I do one bend at a time.

12. stormie4me

if this helps to identify the lantern on the bottom stamped in are numbers B.S-2049 as well as the other numbers 977-C-47 made in england

13. stormie4me

i tried that and its looking a little better thanks so much again dean

14. Ian Ashton

Hi,

The lamp is a Vapalux M1b. I have already posted one in the Vapalux gallery with description. The distinguishing feature is the tall collar. The numbers are military stores ref. nos. They appear on all tanks after about 1988. This was not a military lamp though, it was more of a collector's piece. Cheers...

15. stormie4me

thanks so much for letting me really what i have here ;yep its neat and so different than the others i have ;i had to clean the tank due to liquid being left inside and it was green in color even the pick up tube ;now that its super clean its time to see it glow ;now to find the correct globe but in time ;thanks again dean

16. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

It's a small point, but for the sake of accuracy, the model number is actually M1B

1374934033-Vapalux_M1B_label.jpg

17. stormie4me

thank you for the im put and yes i was able to straighten out the pricker and yes that very small one does poke through the hole yep a deal would be great but not sure if any are around any longer ;now to add some liquid and see if it will glow ; :lol:

18. stormie4me

im not really sure if i will shine this one up as the others i have ;as some things really need to show there age ;as the mrs always tells me .myselve as well :lol: 63 going on 64 ;good news so far lets see i can hit the 70 mark ; ;) thanks everyone for all the information;what a great bunch ; :D/

19. paul m

paul m Subscriber

I think you'll find your lamp can't be any older than 15 years....

20. David Shouksmith

I think you can safely shine this one - IIRC that's the way they left the factory, being collectors items.

When I got mine, Peter Sunderland, the Works Manager at Bairstows, opened the box to check it was OK and that's how it's stayed. I haven't even taken it out of it's plastic bag. Give me a minute...

1374947584-Vapalux_M1B.jpg

21. stormie4me

now that is very nice ;if it was mine i would also leave it that way 'as most are worth more in value not touched or lite ;good news is i was able to get mine fired up earlier today but it seemed only half of the mantle was bright from the middle to the bottom it wasnt very bright even after i pumped it more ;the top got brighter ;might be i used the wrong mantle so tomorrow im going to fiddle with it again after awhile it started to flicker so im sure some where there is a small pressure leak;;as i was looking at the diagram i noticed on the vaporizer there is suppose to be a mantle holder really dont know what that is as mine dont have that part;so now the hunt is to find the correct globe plus that one part plus the small leak which could be either the fuel cap seal or the NRV but tomorrow is another day ;yep i know im going to get my butt chewed again as the pictures are the wrong size;seems its true you cant teach a old dog new tricks ;so here they are and yep i wait for a butt chewing ;)

1374964362-vapulux_model_M1-B_003.JPG 1374964393-vapulux_model_M1-B_002.JPG 1374964417-vapulux_model_M1-B_001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  22. David Shouksmith

No, they're just what are called 'thumbnails' - click on them and they open up, full-size in another window.

Next time you post images, just click on 'Full-size' not 'Thumbnail' - easy as that - and they'll appear full-size in your post... :thumbup:

BTW, I can see the mantle holder (or 'burner spigot' as it's sometimes called) sticking out of the bottom of the burner. You obviously found it too, because you've tied the mantle onto it. Apart from the globe, nothing appears to be missing...

23. stormie4me

i knew i did wrong again but in time i will get it and thanks for letting me know thats the correct part ;it doesnt seem to glow very birght as my others but that might be due to the wrong mantle please bear with it as i will one day get pictures correct ;trial by error' dean