Vapalux M320, where to get spares

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Pierre Debono, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Pierre Debono

Hi everyone, just acquired these two lamps would like to know where i can buy the missing parts for them and some info on them.... Thanks....

IMG_20170910_133347.jpg IMG_20170910_133326.jpg IMG_20170910_133316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

As you say, two Vapalux 320 lanterns. They were made in huge numbers by Willis & Bates in Halifax, England and will be sturdy, reliable lanterns when you get them back into working order. The missing parts will be very common and I'd think most collectors in the UK would have them in their spares box. In Malta, though, it would be a far more difficult matter to obtain them. You could try eBay UK where suitable parts come up all the time. I'd also try The Base-Camp in Littlehampton, UK - Vapalux,& Bialaddin Lantern Spares - UV16 is the used pump-rod and UV 56 is the used burner (less air buttons for the air intakes - Part No. V55 and you'll need three of them). Maybe you'd prefer new parts although the prices are a bit eye-watering. :shock:

In the short term, you could try to make one complete lantern out of the two, although you'd still need to find a globe - one of the 805 variants they offer for sale - civilian versions had a one-piece shaped glass whereas military lanterns had a plain cylinder glass with a shaped steel disc for the base. Seals can be obtained from the Fettle Box - see their advert at the top-right of the page and click on it to get to their website. Mantles are V42 and Base-camp or the Fettlebox will have those.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forums... :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

4. paparazi

David has it, both M320's Vapalux, one silver (civilian) the other dark green (military) both circa 1990's I've seen both versions with the 'shaped' 805 type glass, however, later military M320's did come with the 'spun' metal base plate and 'short' straight glass. These are just the easiest lanterns to light and many use them as their everyday 'go to' lamps. Strong, robust, reliable and easy to maintain..whats not to like..

5. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Looking at the photos I see you need 2x glass globes and a filler cap with pressure release screw. None of these are hard to find but if you have any trouble, someone here will help you out I'm sure.

6. george

george United States Subscriber

Really two very reliable lanterns. Great ones to get started with. Parts are available without a lot of searching.
    Welcome aboard! :D/

7. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Pierre Debono
    Welcome from Queensland Australia.
    You have 2 good lamps to start with. Finding parts, is half the fun and parts for these lamps are not too hard to find.
    There’s the “Fettlebox” linked to this site and of course there’s English bay of evil purveyors of good old English lamps.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. paparazi

Plus...Handy link section on this forum.

9. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Base camp moved in Summer 2019.

01733 234333
    New Hours - 10.00am - 5.30pm Monday - Friday

Base Camp'
    Unit 16, Alfric Square
    Maxwell Road,
    Woodston
    Peterborough
    Cambridgeshire
    PE2 7JP

Edit: And I just found out that the Oakham Ales Brewery is across the road....hmm.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  10. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Gents, for your information, our member Pierre Debono, member since sep 10 2017 was last seen on..... guess when........sep 10 2017!

No need to waste any more time on this fellar I'd say... ;)

11. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Ah, it would have fooled me had I inclined to answer.
    I lack any digital knowledge or insight to explain this Mysterious Malta (?) Messenger.

12. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Yes true, failed to spot the time machine post.
    The news about Base Camp moving stands all the same but probably it's repeated elsewhere. Might be of some use to somebody.

13. george

george United States Subscriber

I should have read the post more closely...:?

14. Wim

Wim Subscriber

It happens all the time! :lol: