Vapalux M320

Discussion in 'M320' started by RonPH, May 28, 2011.

1. RonPH

This just came today in the mail - disassembled. I checked first if all parts were there :thumbup: Then, I took out the burner and sprayed it with brake cleaner to make sure no cobwebs or "resident evil" inside :thumbup: The mantles that arrived with it was the wrong one since it only had one side open so I just cut an opening at the bottom and secured it with thin copper wire. I checked the leather pump cup which needed just oiling :thumbup: The rubber washers were still soft so no change was made. Fired it up and worked like a charm first time around :thumbup:

1306615554-vapalux001.jpg 1306615571-vapalux002.jpg 1306615585-vapalux003.jpg

Note that the mantle is a coleman 500 cp mantle and it produced brighter light than my tilley lamp using original tilley mantle. I may try to put a coleman mantle on the tilley to see if it will improve the brightness.

Thanks for looking :content:

Signed - "One Happy Puppy"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

That Vapalux just probably works better than a Tilley. They often do. Very good robust and reliable lamps and this one looks in good condition. I reckon these may last as well as the Coleman stuff from the 1920s. Let me know in 2060 if it is still working. ::Neil::

3. Tive

Tive Sweden Subscriber

What model is this Vapalux, and approx year ?

Best regards /Frederik

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

It's Model 320 and will date from the 1990s to yesterday. Ian will probably know the date better when the hood changed from the sharp edge to this rounded type but it is the later version for sure. ::Neil::

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Perhaps not yesterday, exactly - maybe up to 2010/2011 (whenever production stopped in Halifax)... :D

6. Ian Ashton

Julie Kershaw of Willis and Bates was still assembling lanterns from parts in early 2010 but that was the end. I think the last batch went to basecamp. In Spring all the machinery went to South Korea...I saw it all packed away for shipping. The spare parts they had also went very quickly after that.

Silver was a popular colour for tanks up to the late eighties/early nineties. They just used the M320 olive drab after that. The sharper edged hoods went out in the late seventies and the type of preheater that lamp has were used around the eighties. So it looks like an eighties lamp.

7. David Shouksmith

One thing I've always wondered - what happened to the homemade / factorymade 'Willis & Bates' sign that was up on the wall where you went in after wandering over the grass. I could have fancied having that... =P~

8. Derek

- and another one!

Picked this up today (13 Aug 2013) from Church Stretton Antiques 'Emporium' - £26. It was marked up £28, as was a chromium plated Tilley 246B beside it, but thought this had to be a good buy. My first and only of the more modern Vapalux. Looked like it had been primed with paraffin by the amount of soot within. Came with a Tilley mantle, but I made a hash of fitting - to tight on the bottom string.

1376402805-002__Mobile_.JPG

On the base of the tank:
    1376402846-008__Small_.JPG

9. David Shouksmith

...or insufficiently primed with meths - either way will produce a sooted-up globe.

I don't think I've ever tried to fit a Tilley mantle onto the Vapalux burner spigot but you're always going to struggle because the Vapalux is bigger anyway, but there's also that big 'step' to get over at the botton end. You might have succeeded by unscrewing the spigot, pushing it up into the mantle, screwing it back into the burner and then fitting the top tie.

I tend to do that anyway because it gets the raggy seam inside and I think the mantle inflates better as a result...

10. Derek

Yes, good point. Must order some parts from Base Camp - proper mantles amongst them!

Given both lamps were labelled "Tilley lamp" (I left the 246B where it was!), It's not surprising it was supplied with a Tilley mantle.

I was sorely tempted on a previous visit by a highly polished brass topped Bialaddin marked up £28, but the Scrooge in me won the day.