Vapalux M320

Discussion in 'M320' started by conny, Aug 6, 2011.

1. conny Sweden

1312617250-Vapalalux_M320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Is that one of the Korean ones, Conny..?

3. conny Sweden

HI

I don´t know, how can you see the difference?

Conny

4. David Shouksmith

The colour, firstly, although I wondered if that was just caused by the glare affecting the CCD (or whatever) inside your camera. Also there appears to be a mark of some sort on the jet cleaner knob and the new ones have the Vapalux logo there. There's the same logo on the pumpknob, although that's not visible in your image. And it just looked so new, I suppose. How long have you had it?

On the other hand, the Korean ones don't seem to have the ring around the frame.

See here and here.

5. conny Sweden

Hi

This lamp was made in Halifax Yorkshire England 2008.
    They only made 350 of them.
    They are called "Norwegian Blue"

Conny

6. Shed-Man R.I.P.

Hi Conny, I love it. What a lovely colour. It is good to see that UK is still turning out some decent stuff.

Steve.

7. David Shouksmith

Ah, yes - the Norwegian Blue! I'd forgotten all about those. My memory is getting worse... :doh:

Think of me if you ever want to sell it, Conny... [-o<

8. Andygc

250 not 350, at a total price of £19,200, giving a profit margin of 9.32%, which is one of the reasons the business ended up being sold to Korea.

9. David Shouksmith

Beautiful plumage, though...

As I understood it, the then owner simply retired and offered the business on the open market. The South Korean chap bought it...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  10. Andygc

Stuart Kendall offered it for sale before he retired. He wanted to dispose of Vapalux before selling the parent engineering business as it was not an attractive element of the much more profitable Bairstow Brothers (1985) Ltd. That has subsequently been split into two separate businesses - Bairstow Brothers for machining and Pellonware for stainless steel pressings.

I was one of the people who went to Halifax with a view to buying Vapalux, which is why I have the figures for that year and why I know that Vapalux was not viable as a stand-alone business in the UK. Profit margins were tiny and setting up the necessary engineering contracts would have required either a lot of additional capital or a loan, followed by a substantial price rise.

It was over a year later that Vapalux was eventually sold. There were no queues of potential buyers.

11. David Shouksmith

That's me told, then... :roll:

Perhaps I should have said, 'the then owner was retiring and...'

12. Andygc

I was really sad that it wasn't a runner. I would have been delighted to have been involved in keeping Vapalux in the UK, but sentiment doesn't provide a return on investment.

The Korean owners appear to have taken the mountain (tons) of press tools to Korea, now remaking old models. I bet they aren't drilling vaporiser jets on a jeweller's lathe. :)

13. GAVIN W

GAVIN W United Kingdom Subscriber

Not surprising they struggled to make a decent profit if they were doing things like that!! Coleman stopped doing that, if they ever did, other than specials,long before WW2. The all in one Vaporiser on Tilley's is as far as I know "punched and reamed"