Veritas 350 Dutch Army 03 52

Discussion in 'Veritas' started by M.Meijer, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:03 PM.

1. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

Curious about the 'buzz' lately on Veritas lamps, I decided to pick one up from Holland's national Classifieds. It must be a lamp from the Army, as copious amounts of drabb green paint are slapped on.

DSCN0687.JPG

Not sure about the fuel cap being original with this lamp, as the construction hints at some kind of pressure relief that usually is associated with petrol burning appliances.
    A surprise was to see a steel bottom plate to the otherwise brass tank. That is a detail to watch, as condensation in the fuel (water) makes holes in steel if allowed.

DSCN0689.JPG

The lamp shows a date of 3 52 in the lower rim of the cage

DSCN0691.JPG
    and appears to look similar to the models here in the Gallery, like the black knob controling the fuel supply. Typical I find the hexagonal shape of the hole in the pre-heater cup, embracing the generator nut, and necessitating a dimple not present now as to make it sit right with the air inlet tube.

DSCN0692.JPG

On the bottom of the cage some 'poor man's chrome' is brushed on, perhaps as a measure against rust.

DSCN0697.JPG

Rust prevention was not the aim of slapping paint on the black bakelite knob, but adds to the 'military look'.

DSCN0694.JPG

The glass hails from France, not seldom the place where glass was made for several foreign makes.

DSCN0698.JPG

Attempting to fit a Primus top reflector, as this ventilator (and burner) is rather similar to that of the Primus 1020, and damaging the layers of paint on the top, revealed some green enamel that might be in a better condition than the present layers of paint.

DSCN0700.JPG

Me being a fan of top reflectors, hoods or shades, I wonder if such items are known for these Veritas lamps, as this pre-war Primus item looks really nice to my eyes, apart from being very practical.
    The fit is unfortunately not a practical one even without the bail that was not supplied with this lamp, hence the above question.
    With the glass and a needle sticking out when asked, this lamp should be fairly easy to make it a practical user.

DSCN0701 (3).JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 12:21 PM
  2. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

@M.Meijer
    Great lanterns, do look in the reference gallery you will find your lantern, not to be confused, my veritas dutch army is a petrol / shellite, the generator setup is different, even though it has a meths spirit cup, its used for preheating , yours has a kerosene type set up, i can agree its greener than the hulk. And i like the date stamp, mine dosenot have one. They have had a bad reputation but do read the threads and see for your self a great latern indeed. Some of the fellas will be able to shed some light on your lantern
    Happy fettling project

3. Emiel

Emiel Netherlands Subscriber

Nice one, I saw it too. It was advertised as a petrol lamp instead of the parrafin lamp that is it. Good it landed in your hands.

4. LatMag49

LatMag49 Germany Subscriber

You did right to pick this one up, they are enjoyable.
    The two I own have a steel bottom as well.
    The filler cap is different and may have been replaced,
    but who knows?
    How could the preheater cup work as not sitting in a
    horizontal position? It really needs that dimple as you
    stated.
    I wish a happy fettling.

Matthias

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine fettling project!:thumbup:

6. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

On these, the position of the pre-heater cup can be hit or miss but it's usually possible to make it fit.

The fuel filler cap doesn't look like a standard Veritas issue but I may have a replacement.... I'll have a dig tomorrow to see if I have a spare.

Are you going to do anything with the paint finish?

7. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

With positive reactions from 5 different countries and from both hemispheres, I thank you all. Where else but on CPL?

I conclude the Veritas lamps have entered a new chapter with a wider, if not deeper appreciation today than yesterday.
    News about them usually was negative, and I admit to thinking along that vein without ever handling one.
    This lamp will be brought into a working condition, before any work about it's appearance will be considered.
    Any news on that will be in a different thread.

Regards, Mike

8. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Good luck Mike, enjoy your fettle on a fine lantern. I have found the Veritas lanterns to be very good and reliable. Be aware that the Dutch Army version have some of the lanterns marked a "KERO" when in fact not all of them were. Some were petrol, or similar, fuelled lanterns, just marked incorrectly. Anyway yours appears to be the type that require kerosene as a fuel.
    Dr Veritas, @ColinG, can provide a lot of experienced help, as can some others on this forum. Don't be shy in asking.
    Enjoy
    Pete