Veritas 350 - Look What Followed Me Home Today

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by AussiePete, Dec 8, 2019.

1. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

I was out today minding my own business when wandering in a junk shop this beastie jumped out at me.

14AD1390-890E-4D38-8292-264F7893376F.jpeg

It has the original globe, but alas, it’s broken. All the correct parts are present and the tank, on inspection, looks to be sound.

Anyway, I studiously ignored it, but it’s constant whining and pleading won me over. So I parted with $40 Australian, and now it sits in my workshop.

This is all @ColinG and @Norman fault. Seriously, I’m as happy as a pig in ........ fertiliser. :lol: :D/

It’s now on the top of the fettle list and I’ll attend to it when I return from Norfolk Island.

Cheers
    Pete

2. kero-scene

kero-scene Australia Subscriber

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Happy fettling!:thumbup:

4. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

A good looking lamp. I'd love to see it when fettled.

5. Tjerk

@ Aussie Pete : looks nice ! happy fetteling , love to see pictures of your Veritas overhauled.

Here’s a picture of the ‘ coleman fuel ‘ Veritas 350 version I have that was used in the 50’s in our dutch army.
    Please note that a soldier has painted the word ‘ kero ‘ on it but that’s not correct !

Greetz from the Netherlands,

Tjerk

BF5ECE40-BB86-4C92-A73E-14F3D2C078DE.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Pete,

This one should clean up nicely.

If you have a Dremel Tool and a Diamond cutting wheel for the Dremel you can shorten a Coleman 220 glass globe to fit the Veritas 350. For a job like this I prefer getting a replacement 220 glass from American Mantle because these are unmarked. These American Mantle glass globes also cost less then the Coleman 220 glass.

Globes

I hope this information helps a bit.

Cheers,
    Norman

7. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Well done Pete, no keeping you down mate! Happy fettling!

8. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I have some parts for a 350 after @Norman bought one on eBay and had it delivered to me... but when it arrived, the tank was split... not just a stress crack but quite a bit worse. If anyone needs any bits, just ask. Between us, I'm sure @Norman and I can sort something out.

9. AussiePete

@ColinG and @Norman
    Thanks mates. I was wondering about the glass, I have the Dremel tool and I can get the diamond cutting wheel. Thanks Norman for the link to American Mantle, awesome.
    When I get back from my travels I’ll be starting the fettle and I do appreciate your kind offers of help, and of course, the help is reciprocated whenever you need it.
    I’ll document the entire fettle in my usual way.
    Once again, thanks for your support. It’s great to have mates all over the world.
    Cheers
    Pete

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  10. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Pete,

Pete mates are just the family you never knew you had.

The 2 Veritas lanterns I have came from the UK from sellers who didn't or wouldn't ship to the US. So I had them shipped to Colin. @ColinG does fantastic work and he does a more then professional job of painting. Colin mated a 9955 and a 350 to make one Veritas lantern and the reason why he did this was mostly because the support frame on the 9955 was butchered and the fuel tank on the 350 was not repairable. Colin painted the fuel tank from the 9955 a very nice green which is a very close match the the green hood. I still have some work to do on my 9955/350 lantern. The jet is oversized and there's still a restriction somewhere in the fuel system but I'll figure it out one of these days when I have the time to dismantle it and do a thorough inspection.
    I'm still on the prowl for a Veritas 350 lantern so sooner or later one will show up either in the UK or Australia or maybe here in the US.

I'm looking forward to your fettling presentation.

I hope you have a safe journey.

Cheers,
    Norman

11. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

An A1 aladdin globe fit perfect, you ca get the of the bay with no logos, i have bought a few over time

12. AussiePete

Thanks for the info @Darryl Durdin
    I have some Aladdin A1s amongst my fettle pile.
    Cheers
    Pete