veritas 350b

Discussion in 'Member Services' started by oily rag, Aug 1, 2018.

1. oily rag United Kingdom

can anyone supply me a pricker needle for my veritas please? i know these lamps are bad but it has sentimental value as it was me dads old fishing lamp.

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hi Oily Rag,

A very rare item for sure. A few years ago I modified a 350c.p. Petromax needle to fit. I discovered that the thread in the end of the Veritas needle rod matched those on the Petromax needle but the triangular brass needle holder was too big to enter the jet, however, using a small file, I removed the corners until it would slide freely into the underside of the jet.

Henry.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

4. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@oily rag

Welcome to CPL. @Henry Plews gives some good advice here as I too have one of these and also a Superb to be fettled in the near future and Petromax spares are readily available.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your progress and success.

Regards, Jeremy

Edit: Typing/grammar corrections.

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

[​IMG]

6. oily rag United Kingdom

thanks guys...wow, what a lovely welcome :)

great advice Henry. i think i will follow it...much appreciated. i would be happy to upload some pics and these will follow soon. cheers..david

7. X246A

@David Shouksmith

Is the response directed at the Superb, my fettling skills or both?

Regards Jeremy

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Purely at the Veritas Superb, Jeremy - there's many tried and there's many died... :whistle:

They're a contrary beast - some of them work well but mostly they don't. I had one that worked quite nicely until it was knocked and the mantle broke. I put on a new mantle but it never worked properly ever again. The feeling I have is that the vapouriser, burner and mantle have to 'like' each other for success - it's some sort of mysterious, arcane, voodoo, black art that I'm not party to and maybe you have to sell your soul to the devil before you're admitted into the coven of thirteen.

The only tip I can give is that you need a globular mantle that will inflate so that it's the optimum distance from the vapouriser but not touching it. Even using a new vapouriser and the correct Veritas mantle won't guarantee success - I tried it once on a mint lantern and it ran for only 30-40 minutes before the onset of the dreaded black mantle disease. One of the Bullfinch mantles seems to fit the bill better than a Veritas one - from memory 1616, 1617 or 1618 - whichever is the mantle number from those three. I've checked my mantle box and there isn't one in there so I can't be sure.

Best of luck, matey... [-o<

9. oily rag United Kingdom

hi guys,

i taken a closer look at my 350 and found the following issues. 1) i have the wrong globe cos its too tall. my cage has extensions! 2) my pricker needle is missing. 3) my tank is contaminated with mayonnaise stuff. 4) parts are like hens teeth. 5) mantles are expensive 6) my lamp has sentimental value so i cant treat it as intended. ie fishing/storms etc

so, ive decided to keep it as an ornament and ive bought a x246b instead which looks more promising. if 350 parts turn up in the future, i may revisit it.

thanks for all the help you've given. its nice to know theres experts around who know their lamps! cheers

10. X246A

@oily rag

Let us know how you get on with both projects.

Also, we love photographs here.

All the best.

Jeremy

11. oily rag United Kingdom

12. X246A

@oily rag

Your Veritas is a nice looking lantern. She may be a shelf queen at present but parts do occasionally turn up.

Thanks for sharing the photograph.

Regards Jeremy

13. oily rag United Kingdom

14. oily rag United Kingdom

jeremy, heres my new lamp after a bit of cleaning. i cant wait to use it on an outing. ive never had alot of luck with pressure lamps til now. i think now i can see how good they are, i shall certainly be using them often. that old veritas actually did me a big favor as an introduction to lamps. many thanks for your positive encouragement.