Veritas 9955B

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by RoyBuchan, Jan 21, 2020.

1. RoyBuchan

Hi, I have acquired a pretty abused Veritas 9955B and have made some progress in sorting it out. One thing that was a real problem was the vaporizer/generator packing which was stopping any gas flow. I have now removed it and it to be unserviceable and have now packed the vaporiser with a tight fitting lamp wick, which means that the lamp does work but not consistently especially when it gets up to temperature. Can anybody advise a better material to pack the vaporizer as I think that is the core of my problem. Thanks in advance

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Generator packing performs three functions. Filter, back pressure inhibitor and heat transfer. These lanterns have a pricker so the filter is less important and the back pressure only reduces hunting so not vital but the heat transfer is important. I suspect your packing is too tight and is therefore restricting flow. Also cotton wicking is not so good at heat transfer. Asbestos is best but in this case a roll of fine brass mesh will do the job. ::Neil::

3. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Indeed, as Mackburner says, a wick is not a good plan. With other lanterns you could also use brass or copper wire twisted around the pricker to increase the surface area. When you have time, we'd love to see some photographs of your find.

Also, I have some spare parts for a Veritas 9955 if you need them. PM me.

4. Mackburner

Nothing inside a 9955 generator to wind a wire round. The pricker is above the generator. I suppose you could wind a wire around a steel rod to insert or make a Coleman type coiled wire insert. It's not all that important how it's done but you do need to increase the surface area of contact to more efficiently transfer the mantle heat into the fuel. One thing you might consider is making the metal mesh or coil a bit short and insert maybe half an inch of wick at the bottom of the generator which will act as a filter and back pressure inhibitor without restricting the flow too much. Be cool enough down there so the cotton won't carbonise. ::Neil::

5. ColinG

Oh for goodness sake, I'm such an idiot - of course there's nothing to wind it round on a 9955... but yes, so long as you create more surface area inside the generator. I inherited a reel of copper wire from my Great Uncle years and years ago and I'm still using it now!

6. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@RoyBuchan from my minimal experience I do know the Veritas lanterns like the generator to run hotter than one would expect. To this end, I run larger 500CP mantles in them with success. I think that you’re definitely on the right track.
    I quite like the Veritas range of lanterns. I suppose their infamy also spurs my interest as well. My 3 examples work very well and none have displayed any of the errant behaviour that has been attributed to them.
    I would love to find a 9955 here in Aussie to fettle. Perhaps I’ll find one on my coming road trip.
    Enjoy your fettle and I’m looking forward to seeing your photos and of course, the “money shot” (the photo of it’s after fettle first light).
    Cheers
    Pete

7. RoyBuchan

8. RoyBuchan

Hi, Thanks to all for your advice. I have now ordered a sheet of fine brass mesh, which has not been that easy from France - UK suppliers seem to be quite resistant to sending things "abroad" and, if they will, it is at quite a cost. The alternatives, however, from Australia or China, although cheaper take a long time to arrive. So enough moaning, I will let you know how I get on when the mesh arrives. See attached photo of the lamp as purchased. regards

9. AussiePete

@RoyBuchan
    In your picture, she looks to be a good fettling project. It’s a bugger sometimes about the things we have to do when obtaining parts, but that just adds to the chase ..... the quest.
    I’m looking forward to the story of the fettle and of course, the money shot.
    Cheers
    Pete

10. Mackburner

One of the best places I found for brass mesh was McMaster-Carr in Chicago I have not ordered anything from them for some years now and at the time they would not export so I ordered through a friend. Bit off a faff but the range was just so very good and they would supply small quantities. ::Neil::

11. RoyBuchan

So, after taking advice from several of you, here is a photo of the first proper firing. I inserted a roll of mesh into the vaporizer, which included about a inch of lamp wick at the base which sorted out earlier problems although there is a little bit of flaring around the mantle, currently a Peerless 2C-HG. Still have to fit a replacement pricker rod but am pleased with progress. Thanks to all who gave advice.

Attached Files:

12. ColinG

It's looking good so far!

13. AussiePete

Well done, she's definitely a worker. You're very nearly there.
    Cheers
    Pete