Veritas Dutch Army lantern NRV

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Darryl Durdin, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

Hi fellas, im wondering how the pump assembly and NRVwork in these lantetns,
    Seems similar to the colman set up,
    It dose not leak but would like to know,
    The Army issue is different to the civilian lantern.
    I will post my findings later.
    20200225_092544.jpg 20200225_092556.jpg
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

I've not this type of NRV before. Would be good to learn how to service it just in case I find a Dutch Army 350.
    Cheers
    Pete

3. Darryl Durdin

i do have the Coleman NRV remover it dose have a big groove in the NRV that looks to accommodate a big screwdriver, not wanting to damage anything, ill wait to hear from someone in the know, I have other bits to study as the pricker and generator, air tube are not like the civilian version either. im wanting to return it back to its original glory if I can, the hood is in good order only the paint has been burnt or rusted off,

4. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Darryl,

The Veritas P 350 has an AGM burner assembly, control valve assembly and an AGM pump with AGM NRV.
    The AGM NRV is very good with a positive shut off so there is no way Coleman fuel/Shellite can leak into the pump tube.
    If I were you I'd use some carb cleaner or brake cleaner to clean up the inside of the pump tube.
    Just so you know the Veritas P 350 is a petrol lantern and this is why the Dutch Army used the AGM pump assembly but I wouldn't use Petrol/Auto fuel I would use Shellite in the lantern. The Dutch Army stenciled KERO on all of their lanterns including the Petrol/auto fuel lantern so it's no wonder why these lanterns had such a bad rep.

Here is what the AGM pump assembly looks like. You can see in the second picture how the AGM NRV work and has a positive shut off. This system is very good. Don't be afraid of this system. And don't be afraid to use Shellite in your P350 since that is what it should be using for fuel. If you are in need of a new AGM NRV you can get then at oldcolemanparts.
    20200216_121910.jpg 20200216_124929.jpg 20200216_124941.jpg

I hope this information helps.

Cheers,
    Norman

5. Darryl Durdin

thank you Norman for the insight to this rather unique lantern, your information is good reading and I will follow your advice in cleaning it up, I would have not known that it is a shellite lantern as most pictures I've seen clearly state KERO, it has a meths cup as well, I will endeavor to do some before and after pictures to share with the group

6. Norman

Hi Darryl,

The Handi Kero-pet also offered a Shellite fueled lantern. The Shellite Handi Kero-pet lantern has a meth cup to preheat the vaporizer.

Here's my Veritas P350 Dutch Army lantern and the reason for the meth preheater cup is to preheat the vaporizer. My P350 is identical to yours and it runs great on Coleman fuel or for your Shellite.

It was quite stupid of the Dutch Army to label a Petrol lantern with KERO.
    DSC09679.JPG

The vaporizer and burner assembly are AGM and most AGM lanterns ran on Coleman fuel/Shellite.
    DSC09677.JPG DSC09678.JPG DSC09680.JPG DSC09684.JPG DSC09685.JPG DSC09681.JPG

I have not doubts that your P350 will be up and running very well very soon.

Cheers,
    Norman

7. Tjerk

@Norman and Darryl

as you can see... my dutch P 350 has also the ( wrong ! ) word KERO painted on.
    Runs very well on Coleman fuel but I fill her up with a liquid called ‘ wasbenzine ‘ , stuff you can buy cheap in every supermarket all over the country here.
    And yes, it has a cup, in the beginning I was wondered about it but use it every time now before lightning the lantern.
    I changed the original globe for a MEWA ( East Germany lantern DDR made ) one.
    Advantage : it has a hole in it (easy filling with meth !) so I can lit my cup at an easy way with a long match.
    Preheating the generator results in a start with no flames coming out of the hood such as all my Coleman lanterns do !

Cheers from the Netherlands,

Tjerk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  8. Darryl Durdin

thank you Norman for your information and tips on this lantern,
    the paint work on mine is not good so im going to re do it, the burner frame has what looks like green paint on the frame housing but the center of the plate is flaky silver and some rust, all the other bits just need a wash and clean up. the lid is good but the rim where the globe sits is burnt/ rusted, I was thinking of painting it with high temp paint black , or just leave it

9. Darryl Durdin

Thank you Tjerk, for your information and disply, its all very helpful, its all some thing to inspire to, i do like the original look. Here's some of my pictures 20200226_080452.jpg 20200225_094718.jpg 20200222_121537.jpg

10. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

They are also available in NOS.
    As fas as I know there are two versions used: kerosene and gasoline.
    There are also two types of pumps. With and without the thumphole in the knob.

11. Tjerk

The P 350 has a knob on top of the hood ? ( like Coleman lanterns )
    > It is the GASOLINE version !

The P 350 has 3 clamps to hold the hood in place ? ( no knob on top )
    > It is the KEROSENE version !

You can also check it while looking at the pump :
    Coleman style = gasoline
    Petromax style = kerosene

Tjerk

12. Darryl Durdin

Hi fellas, can you tell me
    What is inside the vaporisor.
    Should it come out.
    The curly wire thing came out after i heat and quenched a few time.
    20200227_142823.jpg 20200227_142902.jpg

13. Darryl Durdin

This is inside the vaporiser?
    Any idea, i know its some sort of restrictor, but should i clean it? I have no idea, it looks caked in burnt residue 20200227_150311.jpg 20200227_150416.jpg

14. Norman

Hi Darryl,

Some of the manufacturers used asbestos in their vaporizers and this could be the remnants. If the previous owner used Petrol/Auto Fuel then what you are holding is exactly what you will find. Personally if I were you I'd dispose of what you are holding and use some brass mesh inside the vaporizer tube.

Cheers,
    Norman

15. Darryl Durdin

Thanks Norman, very sound advice, i have some fine mesh, just have to find it.

16. Norman

Hi Darryl,

This vaporizer is from a different lantern but this is most likely what it looked like originally and this material is asbestos so please be very careful.
    DSC08385.JPG

Cheers,
    Norman

17. Darryl Durdin

This is what is inside the generator.
    The old bits black aspestos what ever
    Replaced it with fine brass mesh
    The pricker and rod seem to work and look abit like inside rod of a tilley vaporisor 20200228_093208.jpg 20200228_093235.jpg
    I've not seen anything like that

18. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Using a pre-heater on a CF/shellite lamp isn't that unusual. I have a couple of AshFlash lanterns and they flared up pretty badly until @Norman advised me toadd a pre-heater and it solved the issues right away. Thanks Norm.

19. Tjerk

@ColinG

The pre-heather trick also works fine in my Coleman lanterns !
    After one cup burnt up the lantern starts silk-smooth ; no flames coming out of the hood at all !
    Just only the light you want.. :-)
    Photo : Homemade cup in my Coleman 220 F

Greetz from Holland,

Tjerk

Attached Files:

20. Norman

@Tjerk

Most of my Coleman lanterns have a 201 preheater cup which makes firing the lantern much easier.

Cheers,
    Norman