Veritas Superb - First Light

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by AussiePete, Dec 9, 2019.

1. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Hi All

Not so long ago I purchased , from an Aussie collector, this near mint Veritas Superb.

964EBBFC-4E0B-4DDC-B342-84FE7901C7B8.jpeg

Today, after being inspired by my mates @Norman and @ColinG I checked her over with a plan to lighting her.

It is in exceptional condition and it only needed the NRV pip and the generator’s washer seal to be replaced and the leather pump washer lubricated with neats foot oil.

I used a Peerless model 111 mantle because it’s bigger and longer providing adequate heat to the generator.

918030CD-B1AA-4258-A16E-987E78C4641F.jpeg

I used only kerosene as the fuel. The fount was pressurised with about 20 pumps of air, the preheater was charged with methylated spirits and lit.

Just before the last of the methylated spirits burnt off I opened the fuel control cock ......... and she elegantly and without any fuss ...... lit.
    I then put another 50 or so pumps worth of air into her.

The Money Shot

D99DC1CC-E72B-426A-BCBA-4FDB081354B6.jpeg

Summary
    This lamp is an excellent example of the Veritas Superb. Further when lighting it, it behaved impeccably and was very easy to light.
    I’m aware that these lanterns have a negative reputation, however this lantern certainly doesn’t follow the reported errant ways.

Note: This is the second Veritas Superb that I have that has no issues with lighting and running.

This lantern needed little or no fettling other than the usual maintenance seal replacement. It’s a joy to light and I spent a wonderful hour, with a cold beer or two, watching it light my workshop, how good is that ............. :D/

Thanks for looking
    Pete

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. kero-scene Australia

It’s a very nice example. :thumbup:

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Jammy bugger! I've half a dozen (so-called) Superbs - one of them used to work until the mantle broke but now it's as crap as the other five. Bah! :rage:

Anyway, enough of me - well done getting yours running so reliably... :thumbup: :D/

4. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

They do look particularly nice with the original barrel shaped globe! Nice fettle.

5. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Pete,

Well done getting this old girl up and running.
    The nickel plating really makes her shine.

Cheers,
    Norman

6. ColinG

David... I'm both intrigued and confused by Veritas Superb lanterns - quite a few owners say they are unreliable rubbish while others (like myself) have had positive experiences. It would be interesting to examine one of yours so I could compare it with mine and possibly see why this is the case. The obvious answer would be poor quality control but it would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

7. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

That looks good Pete, the nickel with the red hood is an eyeful, even better lit!

8. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

@AussiePete good lantern and a cold beer - must have been most satisfying with this one.

9. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a fine example!:thumbup:

10. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Pete,

that lamp looks, well, superb!! I personally would not mind a whole brass one in the collection one day. I have a thing for brass, although chrome looks good too on that model. Thanks for sharing. Is there any chance you can post a short videoclip if the lamp preheating and lighting up?

11. Doug L

That's special

12. george

george United States Subscriber

I'm not familiar with this lantern at all, but the operating concept doesn't appear to be any different than other pressure lanterns. What makes this one different? Am I missing something?:-k

13. ColinG

The Veritas Superb works in a very similar way to many Coleman brand lanterns so if you've used one of those, the Superb is easy to understand and use. Compared to a Tilley or Bialaddin however, they are quite different and both the Superb and Tilleys/Bialaddins are themselves quite different to Petromax lamps and clones. That's not to say they are all completely different - they all use Paraffin/kerosene which is vapourised in a generator/vaporiser and the gasses burnt in the mantle.

14. ColinG

Would it be possible to take a good quality image of the logo? I intend to have a new waterslide logo made but I need a photo for the guy who makes them - artypharty on eBay.

15. AussiePete

@ColinG
    I’ll get on to it today, I’ll have a picture of the logo by this evening Aussie time.
    Cheers
    Pete

16. AussiePete

@ColinG
    Here are the pictures of the Veritas Superb logo.
    2 photos to enable your artist to see the detail and the subtle difference light has on the subject.
    The width of the logo is 93mm and the height is 58mm.

01077445-50E6-4D6D-B703-961CD748BAB2.jpeg View attachment 71377 692AAC5D-2523-4518-895D-0B7CE472BE0B.jpeg

Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Pete

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  17. ColinG

Thanks Pete, I'll send that to artypharty and see what he can do.