Veritas Superb globe replacements or close alternatives?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Nov 1, 2019.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Is anyone aware of a readily available (ish) globe that would fit a Superb? I got a frosted 'barrel shaped' globe from the US from my good buddy Norman and it's a pretty good fit and works well but it would be nice to have a clear spare to swap it with now and then. Like everyone, I like to keep a few spares but I've given up on an original as they seem pretty rare to me.

Just wondering.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Colin, as yet, I have not found any alternative globe which is a good fit for the Veritas Superb, but a mica cylinder could be made to measure.

Alternatives for the Veritas 350 are a Camping Gaz frosted cylinder glass or a glass for the 500 cp., Solar lanterns which are clear.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    What are the dimensions of the Veritas globe?

Tony

4. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

To measure the globe I used the Coleman frosted replacement as a guide. Here is the frosted globe I use now and will continue to use because it reduces the glare and this is one bright lantern!

IMG_20191102_112349_6.jpg

Of you look at the top rim of the globe, it's approximately 10mm - 12mm short.

IMG_20191102_111959_2.jpg

However, in use you can't see this gap at all.

2019-11-02 11.31.34.jpg

So, having measured the globe and added the 'missing bit' at the top, I make it 4 1/4 inches diameter top and bottom and 4 1/2 inches tall.

I'm very happy with it the way it is, i simply wondered if there was a close match I could find easily to keep as a spare.